General Third party warranties

Currently reading:
General Third party warranties

PhilMcK

I know there has been mention some time ago from people considering a couple of 3rd party warranty providers (Warrantyworks, Warranty Direct etc) but was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with this type of warranty and can either recommend any (or not!).

Got online quotes from 4 companies and they vary dramatically in price. I am aware of some exclusions etc and also different coverage/limits on labour rates etc but was really after experience of anyone who has actually had to claim.

Thanks

I purchased an AA warranty for my previous car (not the Ulysee) and made one claim for ecu faults where I paid first £50 and they covered the remaining £600.

The policy cost me from memory about £175 and they had several different levels of cover but all detailed as to what you could claim on.

I took out the same AA warranty when I purchased the Ulysse a couple of years ago but never has any probs to claim on luckily.
The cost was about £150 through the dealer I bought the car from.
The AA contacted me after the year and offered me 3 year deal at £300 as long as it was serviced etc.

I would say you should take out a polict that covers the problem areas on the Ulysse esp cam belt failure and injectors.

Hope this assists.

Pete

Pete

Hope this assists.

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I've heard people warning against these type of warranties but with no real experience to back that up so it is reassuring to hear.

I'm still debating which level of cover to go with (if any). Of course ideally I'd go with the top level of cover including franchise dealer rates but the quote for that is over £500 a year! :eek:

Hi

I have a warranty with warranty direct. I have tried to claim twice in the past 2 years and both claims were rejected

One was because the wiring associated with the catalytic converter monitoring system( under the bonnet apparently) burnt out and needed to be replacedAlthough it was not physically connected to the CAT they said anything connected to the CAT is excluded. When I said the engine is connected to the CAT they could not see the point I was making)

Second claim was the fuse box under the bonnet on the left hand side near the drivers door developed a fault which they insisted was "corrosion" all of which are excluded from cover.

I am half hoping something does go wrong so I can claim something for the £800.00 plus premiums I have paid over the past years, sad or what?

The radio went wrong and that is excluded. Sent to Pavlek who repaired and have waarantied it for 2 years, unfortunately with the strong euro this cost nearly £500.00!

So in the past year have spent about £1500 on repairs, £800.00 on warranty and have been unable to claim a sausage.

It is a gamble I suppose, lets hope I do not need them but who knows. Watch out for servicing records and mileage limits, because as your car gets older they have more and more rules which limit or reduce cover.

So in summary its a bit of luck and a gamble as to wether warranties will save you money or not. I would recomnd a close read of the small print with a magnifying glass to ensure you have the cover you need.

Hope this helps

Jed

Hi
Personally I would steer clear of third party warranties, we brought a 04 petrol ulysse with 93000 miles on the clock, the salesman try-ed to push us for a warranty, but after reading the small print one thing stuck out, wear and tear not covered, so if your car has higher than average mileage, this is there get out clause, do a search on google with car warranty's, I did and what I read was frighting, most claims were rejected on the basis of wear and tear. best of luck.

Thanks all. Jed's experience is exactly the sort of thing I feared and it was Warranty Direct that were quoting £538 pa. They and a couple of others I looked at do claim to cover wear and tear but I am wary of the small print.

At that price I can't afford to go ahead and having looked further at the reduced cover policies I don't think they would be worth having.

took one out after clutch went , went with aa full break down find it difficult to get some one to do the work just incase they dont get paid any ideas

Back