General Thinking about buying one

Currently reading:
General Thinking about buying one

Brilliant, welcome to the b club. Even after three years we fight over who is going to drive ours when the sun comes out.....

However, THE best time to drive one is in a blizzard with the top down - it really is the most awesome and amusing fun. However remember to drop the top slowly when its cold or the rear screen shatters <ahe> <cough> <whistle> and you need to fit a new hood which is bloody hard work!

Once you get used to road position with the hood up you will be away like no tomorrow :)

Enjoy!

Would recommend this car to anyone. I drove mine for a year and have put nearly 20K on it. I've changed the oil twice......But thats it!! Cheap to run. Get yourself a hat and keep that roof down as long as its not raining. What else can you get for the money?

I wouldnt buy a red one as I was told they are harder to sell. If you can, get the LE version and leather seats are worth having.
Grino

Dunnoh....Just reporting what I was told!!!!!

Personally, I had a REd Coupe and thought it was the ONLY colour to have.

Grino

Well be carefull what you say as people with red cars do not appreicate un true facts,

Silver is the best selling Fiat B
Then Blue
Then Red

Also Red is the best sold colour in the world.

Not having ago. :cool:

Red cars not easy to sell ?>?>? Well I was sold one lol! OK it was red with some pink bits, typical Fiat!

As for leather interior - we searched high and low to make sure we DIDNT get one with leather as its fecking awfull in soft tops. Freeze your nads of in the cold and you cant get back in if you have left it in the sun with the top off as it burns your ass and the "ladies" will burn their legs if they wear shorts or short skirts - or I will !!!! ;-)

Nino_1975 said:
Well be carefull what you say as people with red cars do not appreicate un true facts,

Silver is the best selling Fiat B
Then Blue
Then Red

Also Red is the best sold colour in the world.

Not having ago. :cool:

That makes me happy... I want a silver or blue one....or infact any colour really except green :) - Decisive as always

alfanige said:
Red cars not easy to sell ?>?>? Well I was sold one lol! OK it was red with some pink bits, typical Fiat!

Your right abour Fiat red pre 2000, they had loads of issues with it, saying that any car not looked after fades.

I agree about the leather, I bought mine with leather thinking how good it looks, but unless the day is just warm it can be hell. To cold OUCH, to hot, sticky!!

:eek:

I'm on my second barchetta now - the first one - which was an N reg was a nightmare - the head went and then two weeks later the whole engine went and it cost me 4.5k to put it right - the the body work went - it needed new windows a new roof and suspension work - I do 12k a year approx. I'm now on my second and having problems - this time it keeps stalling - I had the idle control valve replaced yesterday and it's still stalling - very frustrated - I love barchettas but they seem to cost a fortune to maintain - and I am careful! has anyone else had problems like these?

Hi

I did have a stalling problem, I just used some good fuel cleaner, added the whole bottle to half a tank not a full tank, went for a 15 min casual drive and this sorted it. I find Barchettas need looking at every 7K to keep them tip top.

Upgrade the Spark plugs is a must! best Oil you can get is a must also. (y)

My car is an 02 reg with 25k on the clock, only engine fault so far (Touching wood) was my oil coolent system, had it replaced under warrenty.

Your right these cars are expensive to look after, if you live near Swindon I can point out a good Garage that can help!.

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Oh no..! barchetta girl can't have a barchetta... its a mans car :eek: :p

But really, its a shame you're having so many problems, hopefully a quick flush with redex will clear up the stalling issue, and you'll having fun again. Might also want to check the fuel pump and filters just in case either is blocked or not working correctly.

thanks for the tip! I'm taking back to london to DTR to check it again - as they told me it was an idle control problem and I've just forked out £200 and it's still stalling!! Nino - You say you know a garage in Swindon - where is it - I'm only in Bath - it's getting expensive taking it up to london so much - altho DTR are very good and they know their stuff! I have only seen one other girl driving a barchetta - any others out there?!! Mines yellow and I love it!

barchettagirl said:
thanks for the tip! I'm taking back to london to DTR to check it again - as they told me it was an idle control problem and I've just forked out £200 and it's still stalling!! Nino - You say you know a garage in Swindon - where is it - I'm only in Bath - it's getting expensive taking it up to london so much - altho DTR are very good and they know their stuff! I have only seen one other girl driving a barchetta - any others out there?!! Mines yellow and I love it!

Theres a hot blond around here with a 51 silver beast with a red hood... sexy.

How did you find dealing with DTR, I've heard a mixed response, I'm planning on giving them a visit when I've got the cash.

(OPTIMA, 39a Station Road, Wotton Bassett, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN4 7ED)
Ask for Nick. Say Steve Fiat Barchetta man recommended you.
TEL 840667

Remember the engine is a Fiat Punto VVC, not an unusual engine. DTR; I will never visit as I have heard bad things about them. The problem is, people rip you off because the Barchetta is a rare car. Parts for the car are not expensive until you mention Barchetta.

You should pop in on your way down, let me see your car... Take a look.

I have a service CD which breaks down the entire car if you need a copy.

(y)

Attachments

• DSC01924.JPG
    DSC01924.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01927.JPG
    DSC01927.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi - DTR! well I have had a pretty good experience so far - they are reasonable with their labour charges and were very helpful when my engine blew up and let me keep the car there until I could afford to get a new one. I bought my second car from them and it's been ok - I'm only having problems now as I seem to keep having to take it up to them because of things that haven't been sorted out properly - like the stalling problem - it's along way to go and day off work . It's good to know of a local garage that can help - Fiat dealerships charge the earth! The good thing about DTR is that they are reasonable - ie if it's a half hour job they will charge for half an hour not an hour etc. Worth a visit definitely if you don't have anyone nearby.

so what have you heard about them that is bad - I'm curious - I am starting to have doubts myself if I'm honest

Others on the forum have found them pushy and a little arrogant from reading the forum, and others like yourself (at least initially) have had no problems. As I said a mixed bag. I shall reserve judgement until I've visited them (they're only just down the road, I don't know why I've not been already).

DTR as a garage do a good job, no one has said otherwise. When asking there advise they do not want to help to much, I asked for some parts and prices for my insurance company (2K's worth of parts) sent them an e-mail and heard nothing, sent another and called them, no joy. I think I am saying "They are not very friendly when they have to do something free for some one" Service no probs.

I use Optima as you only pay for what they do. Services range from £130+ The chap used to work for Fiat and left because he could see a gap in the market, Honest garages!!!!!!

Barchetta girl, if your in town and want to see them let me know, I'll introduce you to them and help where I can.

ALEX (BUY A B SOON PLEASE!!!) (y)

morning! I am definitely interested in checking optima - here's what's happening with me a nd DTR at the moment - I have this stalling problem - the car - which i bought from them - has been dropping revs ever since I've had it - they told me all of them do it - (DO THEY???) - my last one NEVER did it! Recently - it has been getting so bad that the car is stalling 2-3 times a day. I rang up, told them all about it and they said it was the idle control valve - I took it up to London they replaced it - it took all of 30 mins - which cost me £200. It has made absolutely no difference whatsoever -I am still stalling 3 times a day - I'm furious - i am taking it back next week - another £30 in petrol and a day off work - I am really worried that they are going to charge me even more money - it looks like I have a part which I didn't need and they haven't once suggested that it could be anything else - which it looks like it could be - I'm not an expert - I trust these people to help me - especially as I drive alot on my own - and I do look after my car - I take it to them for a service twice a year, I don't thrash it etc - all I can say is watch this space -Ii am dreading an arguement - I can't afford to fork out more money!!! If the outcome isn't satisfactory I won't be using them again - any opinions out there?

Back