General Looking at a 98 Red Barchetta in Zurich - questions

Currently reading:
General Looking at a 98 Red Barchetta in Zurich - questions

MarlaS

Hello all, I am new and have just registered to day and I am going on 6 March to look at a Red Barchetta 1998 model. Details are:

1.8 ABS
Paint worn
First registration: 04.1998
Mileage: 92,000 km
Inspected 2/21
Cost 3,900 CHF (3000£)

A few questions:

1. I know the paint is. worn, any suggestions on how to make it nicer (I may get it repainted fully but not sure on cost). Brakes are a concern too.

2. I know of the variator issue and found some posts online on how to tell if it is bad/going bad by sound. Comments on replacing variators? I live in Geneva so can have a mechanic look at the variator if need be. I will have a mechanic look at it in any case if I wish to buy it and ask about this.

3. Leaks - tips on how to test for leaks? I will touch the floor area, insides etc - other ideas (smell test too for mildew).

4. Any major engine issues that I should look for when looking at the engine? I have had a BMW z4 and a Volvo in the past but have never owned a Fiat nor have I owned a car this old.

5. We have to have inspections before buying so that will happen too, Passing inspection to get a car is standard here.

6. This is a great forum that I will look thru tonight, I am wondering if there are online resources that you might recommend to also use?

Many thanks all! Welcome all advice too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 18.51.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 18.51.15.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 61
Hi MariaS - welcome aboard!

Let's hope the little red B doesn't disappoint on closer inspection! It looks nice in the photo.

It's hard to advise on paintwork without seeing it. Tired paintwork can often be revived by careful machine-polishing, but red is very prone to fading. Look carefully for parking dents etc - B's have very thin sheet-metal. Most importantly, look for signs of rust, especially around the rear wheel arches and in the horizontal seam where the sill meets the rear side panel. If there's rust showing there, there's likely to be rust elsewhere, eg, in the floorpan and the rear inner panel, which is hard to see, and difficult and expensive to repair. Many B's go prematurely to the scrapyard due to that particular issue.

The variator is less likely to be an issue in a car of that age, as it is likely have been replaced at some point. It's more important to check when the cambelt, belt tensioners and waterpump were last changed, as your engine is likely to be wrecked if these fail. Rear brakes are a common problem, and especially the handbrake.

Water ingress can be difficult to detect. Leaks from the hood etc are very common, and moisture can lurk unseen under the one-piece floor mat and in the rear compartment. It's difficult to check for this without stripping out the interior. As you say, a damp, musty smell inside will not be a good sign. As a general rule, if the car has been left out in the rain for any length of time, it will probably have a wet (and potentially rusty) bottom. The best Bs, if you can find one, are those that have been garaged undercover, and only used in dry weather.

I hope the inspection goes well. The mileage is comparatively low for a 22 year-old car, and the asking price seems low for a B that's in good condition. The best advice, as always, when buying an older car is to buy the best example you can find, as mechanical and body repairs can soon turn a cheap buy into an expensive money-pit.

Don't forget to update us on progress! Cheers, Gareth

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

All I will advise on is the variator , I believe mine had been replaced or refurbished before I bought it from the UK's leading Barchetta seller and then it gave no trouble in the 75,000 miles and 8 years that I drove it .

There are other Barchetta sources online but to be honest , this forum should be all you need , many people have good knowledge here and most queries get an answer .

Price for the car you are looking at seems reasonable ,seeing as Switzerland is renowned for being a bit pricey ...:cool:

Good luck with your potential purchase , my Barchetta was still my best ever car .

Gar got in there first due to my slow typing .

Last edited:
Thank you for t he tips and info, Gar074 and Barchetta Bloke.

I have asked the seller for the inspection papers (even a photo from phone is fine) to read them and translate them (in German). I hope to have these before I go on Saturday to see the car. I will note the issues on last updates for the cambelt, belt tensioners and waterpump.

Thanks all and I will send photos too once I see the car in person and turn it. on, etc.

Best,
MarlaS

Hi All.
So the guy sold it Monday (sad face). BUT, there is another Red Barchetta in Geneva and also a Fiat 500 in Geneva too. I will look at both this weekend. Here are two pics.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 19.31.54.jpg
and
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 19.31.21.jpg

So ... I will see how each drives and how it goes. I love the Barchetta but I really love the zippy 500 - I have rented several of these in the past 3 years.

Thanks again all!

So the guy sold it Monday (sad face).l!

Boo!!!

BUT, there is another Red Barchetta in Geneva

Hurrah!!!

Don't forget that Bs are becoming rare, and if kept in good condition, will increase in value. My B is the only car I've ever owned that I haven't lost money on. (I wish I'd looked after a few of the others more carefully, and hung on to them longer, but that's another story!)

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 22.41.16.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 22.41.55.jpg

I have decided to buy this one. It is 5,900 CHF, it leaks a bit (needs a new seal for the top), it has a small crack in one front light cover glass, and I will get. it fully inspected soon.

1996, one owner, full papers, all inspections, only 59,000 km so 37,000 miles. New battery and all inspection reports including original purchase receipts since day 1. :)

No paint chips, under carriage looks ok (need to actually get under it tho.

I will have it garaged and when we go back to work I have a garage at work too.

I am so excited!

Cannot wait to start going thru this forum to find part info on the topc seals, and for the light glass, etc.

whoop whoop!

Sounds good! More money than you might have paid for the other one (around £4600), but that's not unreasonable for a 1-owner car with full history, low mileage and decent bodywork. I see that it has leather seats too. :D Will it come with any kind of mechanical warranty/guarantee from the seller?

I understand your excitement. I remember how giddy I felt when I bought my B, 14 years ago (an impulse buy on eBay, unseen, which could have gone horribly wrong, but so far has turned out OK!)

Last edited:
Enjoy every minute of it, I jumped in totally blind as I've always.loved the styling, and although it constantly need tinkering and money, I absolutely love the barchetta. The driving experience is way beyond what you expect on paper.

Was out early morning yesterday and stopped for a guy to cross the road, he was so happy, spent the whole crossing pointing at the car and making various thumbs up and smiling.

Enjoy!

Ratty99 that is a cute story. And I am sure I will love it. :)

Back