General Think about swap for 1.3 diesel?

Currently reading:
General Think about swap for 1.3 diesel?

I have currently 1.9 jtd 85 2007 which I average 55 mpg and is near 170,000 miles. Now my job has relocation is 33 miles further away it will be on motorway more than before so I am think of swap for Punto 1.3 is cheaper to run, insure and tax than my currently 1.9. The officially figures for 1.3 is average 62mpg, I have already took a test driver I was disappointed with gearbox it rev far too much on 2,800rpm at 70mph a bit more engine noisy than my 1.9 which is 2,100rpm at 70mph.

If I drove both on motorway at 70mph which one is more economical?

What will you save and how much will it cost to change cars ?

This is the most relevant question. It costs nothing to keep your current car, if it costs you an extra £500 to get a lower mileage/newer 1.3D that means you could've bought 400 litres of diesel (at £1.25 a litre).
Working on an annual extra mileage of 15k a year, your current car will cost you 272 gallons of petrol (£1543), a 1.3 at 62mpg will cost you 242 gallons of petrol (£1375), only a saving of £168 a year.

One thing I've learnt about insurance companies is....do not change cars in the middle of the policy, even if the new car is in a lower group they'll charge you more. The excuse (reason!!!) is that it is a new car to you and you're not used to it therefore you're more likely to have an accident.
Try and change at renewal time.

This is the most relevant question. It costs nothing to keep your current car, if it costs you an extra £500 to get a lower mileage/newer 1.3D that means you could've bought 400 litres of diesel (at £1.25 a litre).
Working on an annual extra mileage of 15k a year, your current car will cost you 272 gallons of petrol (£1543), a 1.3 at 62mpg will cost you 242 gallons of petrol (£1375), only a saving of £168 a year.

One thing I've learnt about insurance companies is....do not change cars in the middle of the policy, even if the new car is in a lower group they'll charge you more. The excuse (reason!!!) is that it is a new car to you and you're not used to it therefore you're more likely to have an accident.
Try and change at renewal time.

nice scam

My broken record.
Asking any car to do an extra 70 odd miles a day is going to put pressure on it. Commuting you need a breakdown like a hole in the head. It is important to ante up on those weekly checks of fluids, air and leaks. Some breakdowns are out of the blue but many could have been caught.

nice scam

Oh yes, I've changed cars mid policy a few times in my life (i'm and old git) and until 2 years ago had never been hit with this. We recently changed from a Bravo to a Nissan Cube (Don't ask :eek:), the Cube is much lower insurance yet it went up by over 10% and their reasoning was because it was new to us and being unfamiliar with it means we'd be more likely to have an accident. They all do it now apparently, another way for insurance companies to riunse you of cash, like charging 25% for monthly payments :(

My broken record.
Asking any car to do an extra 70 odd miles a day is going to put pressure on it. Commuting you need a breakdown like a hole in the head. It is important to ante up on those weekly checks of fluids, air and leaks. Some breakdowns are out of the blue but many could have been caught.

Wise words Brendan :idea:

I have a 1.3 diesel from 2003 and get 60-62mpg on average. It's got 123,000 on it...

But the other commenters are right, you need to sit down and do the maths, are you really going to be better off. The other thing is, you know your 1.9, you know what you've fixed... a 1.3 could throw up a whole new set of problems especially if the person before hasn't taken good care of it.

Back