Technical There is a reason for everything..

Currently reading:
Technical There is a reason for everything..

purple haze

Beware the Panda Face.
This is why i should have thought about why the cam belt the previous owner had put on stripped its teeth..and why the cam was so hard to move round.
Started Lizz up after she had a clean and polish ready for the MOT...After a few horrible sounds from the top end she stopped ticking over...:eek:

The timing seemed out???...Then i had a :idea: moment...took the cam cover off and sure enough NO OIL getting up there!! Old black oil sitting around and crystal clear oil on the dip stick..

Ergo...The previous guy had fitted the belt..done a oil change..went for a drive that day...cam got hot..seized up...this stripped the cam belt at the bottom/crank which was where i found it damaged.

So its either oil ways or pump..next job take the pump off donor Lzz and fit to Lizz II..See...i should have thought it all through!!..Makes sense now!!
All this and the guy who i got it from said he was a mechanic!!!

kev

Looks like the filter was changed and the engine turns over fine...looked at the manual and its a bit of a pain to change the oil pump..sump has to come off etc etc...never heard of a pump going on pandas???..anyone had this prob before???

KEV

Have fun Kev!

Tried to get oil sump off of donor 750L and gave up when I couldn't get to the last nut. Might of managed it if I had a spanner, but looked more like a 'split engine and gearbox to gain access' job :eek:

I think pump on Sisley is on its way out, so if you manage it lots of pic's along the way please so I'll know what I'm doing when I come to do mine, lol.

Jon.

I changed a pump on a Selecta 1.1 fire engine you dont need split the gear box off engine but you need to get all the bolt out of the sump pan the back two are a pain and well hidden you will need a 1/4 drive good socket set to get at them. The sump has to be stuck back on to the engine and holding bolts nipped up only remember they are small.

I changed a pump on a Selecta 1.1 fire engine you dont need split the gear box off engine but you need to get all the bolt out of the sump pan the back two are a pain and well hidden you will need a 1/4 drive good socket set to get at them. The sump has to be stuck back on to the engine and holding bolts nipped up only remember they are small.

But you know the nut I'm on about don't you Allen? Near where the engine and gearbox join.

So is it accessable with a 1/4 spanner? Just I know a socket will not fit on place to remove it. Not sure if access difficulty is the same between the auto and manual Panda's?

Jon.

did this engine run for any length of time? did oil light go out when it was running? is camshaft free turning?

As i said..the cam was diff to turn when i went to fit the belt..all turns fine now..the engine ran ok for quite along while the previous day...the "tight" noise def came from the cam before the engine stopped..all seems fine now so hopfully no harm done!!

kev

If the oil warning light went out straight after starting and stayed out during running surely that would rule out a fault with the pump. I'm with Dave, it sounds like the oil supply to the head has got blocked either by the head gasket being put on upside down or the spray bar itself being blocked. Take the spray bar off (it's only bolted on), spin the engine on the starter and see if any oil squirts through the oil feed. If it does then the spray bar is blocked, if it doesn't then it's probably an incorrectly fitted head gasket as Dave said.

Good luck :)

Check the cam shaft if its run dry for a long time it could be beggered check if you have any play at the front end. The support bearings could be done in, something has caused to cam belt to shed teeth. My bet is the cam that has run very hot with no oil. Check it so you are not takeing the head off again if infact the cam is stuffed.

Check the cam shaft if its run dry for a long time it could be beggered check if you have any play at the front end. The support bearings could be done in, something has caused to cam belt to shed teeth. My bet is the cam that has run very hot with no oil. Check it so you are not takeing the head off again if infact the cam is stuffed.

Will do...cheers..Got a spare head to put on if its stuffed....kev

Last edited:
Back