General The number one city car falls short of the Panda

Currently reading:
General The number one city car falls short of the Panda

The reason I love the Panda - and any Fiat really - is because they’re efficient, small and cheap to buy cars that happen to be cheap to run and easy to fix. But on top of that, despite the low cost they make extremely rational and functional designs. Certainly cars like the Panda from the first model were designed solely with practicality in mind! They don’t seem to fall apart very easily, there’s no creaking plastic in sight (on my ‘05 anyway). They don’t make stupid designs like Vauxhall did on the 2006 Corsa or Citroen do on most of their models that make basic repairs a PITA. They take scratches, dents and abuse so so well and they don’t keep their owners up at night worrying about resale value, debts, the cost of fuel, how they’ll park it at the side of a busy street or dents and scratches. They don’t look like the design was aspired from yet-another-aggressive-looking car. And their focus is completely in different areas... I mean, a 4x4 city car? Turns out.. that’s a damn good and commercially successful model. Who else does that? And bringing back an iconic car like the 500.. sure, lot’s of companies do that: the Beetle, the Mini, the Mustang... But those are ridiculous, overpriced and oversized cars that, let’s face it, housewives and spoilt girls in their 20s get despite the countless design flaws and blatant sense of ‘you got nothing for your money’ that oozes from the very sight of those cars. At least the 500 is practical, efficient and easy to run. It’s an actual successor of it’s original ancestor car.

Fair play to Fiat, with the Tipo and Argo if that helps on the balance sheet, but it’d be a shame if we ended up with a complete range of bland, German inspired cars.. But with the Panda already out selling the VW Balls Up! I hope someone there sees the potential in the unusual and very Italian styled models like the current Panda and keep em coming for years yet. Speech done lol

And now breath......:D

My daughters first car was an early Micra, great we thing, no power steering but a tank of a car, never thought I would see the day when 17inch alloys would be an option though :eek:

My Ideal Panda though would have a 1.8 turbo diesel power plant, slightly wider track and 5 instead of 6 gears, leave the rest alone.

I would not mind having a Panda with a rebadged Alfa Romeo 1750I TB engine under the bonnet. :D

I do like the Panda, and it would probably be my 2nd choice when the sad day comes that I have to part with my Grande Punto.

The thing I love about the Panda is that you get the impression they managed to create an immensely characterful little car without trying too hard. With the vw, you get the impression they were trying to make a characterful small car, and that just removes all the character as far as I'm concerned.

I do like the Panda, and it would probably be my 2nd choice when the sad day comes that I have to part with my Grande Punto.

The thing I love about the Panda is that you get the impression they managed to create an immensely characterful little car without trying too hard. With the vw, you get the impression they were trying to make a characterful small car, and that just removes all the character as far as I'm concerned.
I really don't like the up!, it just don't look good, and drives even worse.
i have drove all 3 up!'s MPI 60 hp, MPI 75 hp, and TSI 90 hp.
I will choose my 85 TA 24/7. :D

Moron!!! The VW Up may not be everyone's taste in the vehicle world but name calling like this is just childish & unnecessary, at least come up with constructive criticism at the very least.

They are very overpriced: at the moment, you can get a Panda Pop for £7k, whereas a base model up 5 door is £9.5k before options!! Even the Skoda version is nearly £9k before options. Hence, the smarter buy is the Panda.

IMG_3648.JPG

They are very overpriced: at the moment, you can get a Panda Pop for £7k, whereas a base model up 5 door is £9.5k before options!! Even the Skoda version is nearly £9k before options. Hence, the smarter buy is the Panda.

It's not as simple as that. You'd need to factor in running costs, including depreciation (there are some very cheap secondhand Pandas around). The 500, on the other hand, still seems to hold its value incredibly well.

Last edited:
The UP! base model has a height adjustable seat , DAB radio with Aux socket and remote central locking as standard. The Panda Pop is Bare bones.

Depreciation is not a running cost, it’s a selling cost. So if you have your head screwed on (and actually buy a brand new car with the intention of keeping it until it’s almost ready for scrap) it’s easy to ignore.

The Up base model until very recently had wind up windows ... no wonder sales are so poor

I was just going to say, they must have very recently massively increased the standard spec: I recall base model citimiiups being poverty spec.

I've got to be honest, I've never understood when people say about depreciation: unless you're comparing used values of cars with identical equipment that cost the same to buy in the first place, then it's pointless imo.

Economics reinvented.

My point being, if you don’t sell the car.. you can forget about it.

If you buy a brand new car and are scared of losing money then why would you buy a new car?

To me, that’s stupid and should have nothing to do with someone taking the decision to spend hard earned cash on a car. The sort of mentality car dealers love people to have because they’re always losing money chasing a desire to have the latest thing.

Hi.
Depreciation for me is irrelevant as the Panda will be my last car.
Although I'm only 63, long term health issues mean that I'm not likely to see 75 but most likely will not be driving sometime before then.

Back