the last recession

Currently reading:
the last recession

Mention of 80's and 90's interest rates ....

I wonder how todays (well, a few months ago) interests rates compared with the 80's/90's if they were calculated using the then same methods???

4.5% anyone????? Who do they think they are kidding (Mr Hiltler)?

I'm no mathematician but 4.5% was WILDLY lower than what I was feeling... I'd say, using the same calculation parameters, that they were more like 10%+

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/rates/baserate.pdf

Do you mean inflation rate? I agree with you. Becaue we all have to prioritise our spending - food, mortgage/rent,energy,petrol,insurance, before we start thinking about discretionary purchases (flat screens etc.) then because the vitals have gone up more than the discretionaries, our true inflation rate has been much higher than the 2 "official" measurements of cpi and rpi.
Mention of 80's and 90's interest rates ....

I wonder how todays (well, a few months ago) interests rates compared with the 80's/90's if they were calculated using the then same methods???

4.5% anyone????? Who do they think they are kidding (Mr Hiltler)?

I'm no mathematician but 4.5% was WILDLY lower than what I was feeling... I'd say, using the same calculation parameters, that they were more like 10%+

when I sold my house my bank kept phoning me at work, I eventually realised that these friendly courtesy calls were only because they had a wad of my cash in their vault (they never ever phoned me in the previous 20 years before this!) so I took it all out & brought a shiny new tent and now they dont phone me anymore:)
Whats it like in the winter heat wise?

I havnt read the whole thread. I think greed is a big problem. Last night watchdog pointed out energy companies have not dropped there prices but there cost have fallen substantially.

Ive been looking at getting a first house but it just seems impossible because of the cost. Especially now as ive been made redundant.

Our local job centre has had to start opening Saturday's because it is now so busy for them.

Last edited:
Back