the last recession

Currently reading:
the last recession

but if banks are getting bailed out then surely they will shaft us more as they (sorry we) have to pay back the debts:confused:

so......my that logic we the people (right?) are paying to bail out the banks...I dont want to bail them out as they would have my house off me in a shot if I was skint!

Rebellion:slayer:

The difference with this one and the last is that this one happened so bloody quick, the previous one was more of a steady decline rather than the freefall situation we have now. The problem with this one is businesses that were performing well have had the rug pulled out from beneath them by the cash flow problems caused by sudden credit withdrawal, not necessarily from other businesses but by the banks.

which makes me think its all a con....the money has gone somewhere (to fight wars?) and we are all paying dearly for it with our cash/savings and property. Right I have a flight to catch to the bahamas in my private 747...see you later people:)

The difference with this one and the last is that this one happened so bloody quick, the previous one was more of a steady decline rather than the freefall situation we have now. The problem with this one is businesses that were performing well have had the rug pulled out from beneath them by the cash flow problems caused by sudden credit withdrawal, not necessarily from other businesses but by the banks.

In the last recession interest rates and inflation were sky high due to total mismanagement of the economy by the Tories. That had an enourmous effect of the economic downfall of the late 80's/ early 90's followed by the recession. Property prices went through the roof in the late 80's pushing many people to take loans/ mortages far beyond what they could afford, and these people were hardest hit when the crash happened. Record reposessions and negative equity affected many homeowners. I also suspect that companies these days borrow far, far more than previously and as such their debts are much higher. Thus when an economic downturn occurs they have no reserve to fall back on.

One similarity between then and now is that the bloody speculators in both the property and financial markets shoulder a lot of blame for what's happening/ has happend. Unlike the last recession though this is very much a wordwide economic problem and as such it's much harder to predict how long and how hard this one will be. Tough times ahead I suspect...

This happens all the time, the 'central banks' deliberately produce less currency to create supply and demand. Happens what every 10-15 years throughout history?

It's clearly done deliberately, and I pity those who fail to see it :nutter:

Last edited:
This happens all the time, the 'central banks' deliberately produce less currency to create supply and demand. Happens what every 10-15 years throughout history?

It's clearly done deliberately, and I pity those who fail to see it :nutter:

Despite the fact central banks dont produce money its an Interesting theory......care to provide some independent evidence to back it up?

If as you suggest the recession and credit crunch is a planned and contrived exercise my question to you is......WTF stands to make anything out of it all??

Last edited:
An Interesting theory......care to provide some independent evidence to back it up?

It would be a bit difficult to, but earlier this year was looking into this whole 'world economy' and how it is sposedly run. Didnt believe a word of it until literally everything started happening exactly as I had read it.

The scaremongering tactics of everyone drawing out their savings in fear that they'd lose it. It's your money that's in the bank, how could you possibily lose it unless the bank was in debt to someone else?

Its a vast ridiculous topic but I fully believe that everything that happens in world economy is done deliberately. The Goverment has been bailing everyone out. Where are they getting this money from?

The way I see it as a kind of 'clensing' of the economy to make sure the rich dont get too rich and only a certain amount are allowed to keep on top.

Who would have thought the entire chain of woolworths would be gone 5 years ago?

Seriously though, I really couldnt explain everything I've read but go do some research. Very intresting topic and a real eye opener.

Despite the fact central banks dont produce money its an Interesting theory......care to provide some independent evidence to back it up?

If as you suggest the recession and credit crunch is a planned and contrived exercise my question to you is......WTF stands to make anything out of it all??

The people at the top? Oil companies are filthy dirty rich but they're still prepared to just cut the production of oil to bump the prices up to make more profit. WTF would they need more profit for?Its an evil disgusting world.

I couldnt begin to understand what motivates people to have to dominate, but seriously, do you believe that the credit crunch could just 'happen' on its own?

You have to read between the lines, america has massive issues with obeseity, yet more than half of the world live in poverty. Surely that tells you all you need to know?

Substantiated links and references please, otherwise it just comes across as...

Attachments

• conspiracy.jpg
    conspiracy.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 11
You are right. The banks were never baled out in the way they have been this time. The main reason is because they didn't need to be. Basically the world economy is like the Fable of "The Emperor's new clothes". It worked as long as everybody kept lending to each other and everybody didn't ask for their money back immediately.This maintained the illusion of wealth and prosperity.
In the old days it was very difficult indeed to get a mortgage, because the building societies could only lend from the deposits they took in from savers, whilst holding back a sensible reserve. A few years ago some regulation changes happened and some flash Harry marketing types took over and became aggressive lenders. eg Northern Rock, used to be a regional building society until their new boss decided to go to America and sell their loan book in exchange for a massive input of cash. They would then add a small margin and aggressively sell mortgages to anybody who could vaguely show an ability to repay, using American cash. The income to loan multiples crept up as leneders battled with each other to gain the new business.NR's market share went ballistic.
If you are still awake, the whole thing stated to unravel when the bigger banks started to realise that a lot of these packaged loans were not all A+ clients, but in many cases distinctly dodgy ones with little ability to repay. Worse than that, they had no way of quantifying the problem. Good from toxic.So, the method by which the Northern Rocks (and others) were relying on to keep things afloat immediately dried up and they had to go to the Bank of England for a hand out because they ran out of ready cash. This wouldn't have been a problem if it had been kept quiet tbh.But a run on the bank ensued.
Things have happened so quickly because of the internet, and because the banks and institutions are so closely interlinked nowadays. This didn't used to be the case at all.
So banks started to call in loans and overdrafts, affecting nearly all companies, good bad or indifferent. This is turn has affected confidence all over the world, and as property prices have dropped and savings interest reduced, confidence gets worse and a death spiral takes hold. And, very few governments around the world have saved any money for this rainy day - ours especially so.
End of speech !
now im a bit too young to remember the last recession well(yes really!!)
however i dont remember companys/banks getting baled out in the way they are this time.
am i remembering right?

do any of you in here actually know the cause of it this time?

Read Pooroldcodger's post above yours as he's pretty much hit the nail on the head. Add to that speculators and shortsellers messing around with the stock/ money markets along with property investors inflating prices and it was only too obvious this would happen sooner or later.

thatchers fault!

I blame her for everything - the BITCH!

Last edited:
No, when northern rock got greedy and went bust none of the other backs would trust each other or lead money to each other, causing them to tighten up who they lend to meaning companies that need money cant get it (like woolworths) because the banks dont trust them. thus we suffer as everyone increases their prices

No, when northern rock got greedy and went bust none of the other backs would trust each other or lead money to each other, causing them to tighten up who they lend to meaning companies that need money cant get it (like woolworths) because the banks dont trust them. thus we suffer as everyone increases their prices

Wollies didn't go under because of the banks I don't think ;)

Back