the last recession

Currently reading:
the last recession

i have already stated that im giving opinion not fact

first there is a italian then a french man scares him off, enters a german and the french man runs, then Britan and america blow the F**K out of the german

Truth is, we have been inextricably linked economically and militarily since the second world war because we had to go to them for financial and military help in defeating the Germans/Italians/Japanese. Unfortunately the old saying that "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold" is very true.How many of you have seen the digital display in Times Square which displays America's national debt? It has been going up so fast that they have had to put up a bigger display with more digits! And I'm not joking! But neither America or UK are in good shape right now, but other European countries have retained more independence than we have managed to do. It certainly suits Gordon Brown to be able to blame everything on the rest of the world though. Why else has he become so cheerful recently when he has spent the last 11 years as Mr Grumpy ?
An opinion is a 'bias', it's not fact unless you can link to reliable sources as to where you got the information from. Don't you think that free enterprise style business practice operates in all western economies and that exactly the same thing is going on with British banks and businesses? This is worldwide economic recession we are going through and no one country is entirely to blame, when in fact ALL first world countries are to blame for what is happening. To suggest that Northern Rock triggered the whole recession because they were American owned is absurd nonsense.

So America is not mainly to blame now that you've admitted to prejudice when stating 'facts' :rolleyes:

Once again I need to point out that the USA is a huge country with one of the most diverse and multi-cultural populations in the world. All 260 million of them. Do you really place ALL of them in the same category?

i have already stated that im giving opinion not fact

You made statements as if they were factual, and only later stated that you were giving "opinions on facts that I have seen". Fact and opinion are two very different things ;)

ay1.jpg

Truth is, we have been inextricably linked economically and militarily since the second world war because we had to go to them for financial and military help in defeating the Germans/Italians/Japanese. Unfortunately the old saying that "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold" is very true.How many of you have seen the digital display in Times Square which displays America's national debt? It has been going up so fast that they have had to put up a bigger display with more digits! And I'm not joking! But neither America or UK are in good shape right now, but other European countries have retained more independence than we have managed to do. It certainly suits Gordon Brown to be able to blame everything on the rest of the world though. Why else has he become so cheerful recently when he has spent the last 11 years as Mr Grumpy ?

Again, you are right. However, many countries, not just the UK, are now inextricably linked with American economics and also to each other. NATO and OPEC are all worldwide organisations, as is the G8 summits of the worlds powerful nations. The US can't survive on it's own any more than the G8 countries can't survive without each other. The western world is also now increasingly dependent on the far east (China, India, Indonnesia etc.) for manufacturing and production, and those countries are dependent on the west for trade and income to develop their economies. The west relies on the middle east for oil and the middle east relies on the west for their income and economy. It's all very incestuous and complicated and is why no one country can be blamed for what is happening.

I'm going to escape it all and run off to somewhere away from this economic turmoil. Somewhere like Iceland. Oh, hang on...

:p

Last edited:
You made statements as if they were factual, and only later stated that you were giving "opinions on facts that I have seen". Fact and opinion are two very different things ;)

ay1.jpg

Again, you are right. However, many countries are now inextricably linked with American economics and also to each other. NATO and OPEC are all worldwide organisations, as is the G8 summits of the worlds powerful nations. The US can't survive on it's own any more than the G8 countries can't survive without each other. The western world is also now increasingly dependent on the far east (China, India, Indonnesia etc.) for manufacturing and production, and those countries are dependent on the west for income to develop their economies. The west relies on the middle east for oil and the middle east relies on the west for their income and economy. It's all very incestuous and complicated and is why no one country can be blamed for what is happening.

I'm going to escape it all and run off to somewhere away from this economic turmoil. Somewhere like Iceland. Oh, hang on...

:p
I think Clarkson's got it right. Buy a safe for your money, a shovel to plant your own food, and a shotgun to protect yourself !
Going for a cup of tea while I can afford it!

but the interpratation of a fact changes it to a opinion

No, a fact is a fact. It can be proven. To give an opinion on a fact you have to show evidence to support the fact you are basing your opinion on. If you can't support the fact then your opinion can't be based on nor be an interpretation of 'fact'. Otherwise people can just post up their "opinions based on fact" that are little more than prejudice or hearsay. See point two below to clarify.

"fact [ fakt ] (plural facts)

noun

Definition:

1. something known to be true: something that can be shown to be true, to exist, or to have happened

2. truth or reality of something: the truth or actual existence of something, as opposed to the supposition of something or a belief about something
based on fact

3. piece of information: a piece of information, e.g. a statistic or a statement of the truth

4. law actual course of events: the circumstances of an event or state of affairs, rather than an interpretation of its significance
Matters of fact are issues for a jury, while matters of law are issues for the court.

5. law something based on evidence: something that is based on or concerned with the evidence presented in a legal case"

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861610193/fact.html

I think Clarkson's got it right. Buy a safe for your money, a shovel to plant your own food, and a shotgun to protect yourself !
Going for a cup of tea while I can afford it!

:yeahthat:

Just grow your own tea and then you're sorted :p

Last edited:
Northern rock is an american company and its because of its collapse that money has gotten tight around the world

Do you have the faintest idea what it is you are talking about?? Maybe you could tell us for how long have the UK Government been allowed to take control of and nationalise so-called American companies??

OK Gentlemen, time for your medication, and a nice sit down to calm down, maybe a cup of tea and a biscuit will fix everything?

And now some facts,

15.5% was the peak interest rate in the late eighties early nineties.

Thatcher still is alive, but only just.

America is a big country far, far, away.

Bourbon anyone?

Me, like thousands of others saw our mortages payments double at that time, plus a lot of people fell in to negative equity. The difference between then and now was that lenders were much stricter on judging ability to pay, so generally people had more in reserve than in recent times.
Bourbon? What a good idea!

Another consideration is interest rate rises, if your interest rate is 14% and it goes up 0.5% then its a far smaller rise in real terms, than a 0.5% increase on a 5% mortgage.

True, but a mathematical irrelevance surely? Would you rather have say a £100k mortgage that goes up from 5 to 5.5%, or be paying 14% that goes up another .5%? .
Another consideration is interest rate rises, if your interest rate is 14% and it goes up 0.5% then its a far smaller rise in real terms, than a 0.5% increase on a 5% mortgage.

Back