The "dreaded" Security Gateway.

Currently reading:
The "dreaded" Security Gateway.

A friend of mine used to do a lot of rallying years ago. Two large driving lamps on the front. The left was angled to the right, and the right lamp angled left. This ensured no black hole in the middle, and also gave some light around corners. Obviously main beam only.

On the subject of main beams, it amazes me that so many people I meet when driver training have no idea that headlamps have two settings. They think that 'main beam' and 'headlamps' are the same thing, main beam being an alternative to sidelights. No wonder they're all afraid to drive in the dark.

My golf has automatic main beams which is surprisingly good, it occasionally thinks a road sign is a car or whatever and dips the main beam but you can override it if you want, it’s however very easy to become complacent and when driving the Punto you either blind people forgetting to turn the main beams off or you drive into a hedge forgetting to turn them on and not being able to work out why you can’t see. I guess people who never travel out of a town or city never need use them and with most cars having automatic headlights now, they probably don’t know even how to turn the normal headlights on and off if they wanted

My headlamp hates
(1) Drivers who bumble along unlit roads on dipped beam. There will be areas where it's reasonable to overtake but the black hole ahead gives no clue what's coming up. So you have to sit there while they squint into the dark.
(2) Drivers dipping their headlights as you overtake but long before you are past their mirrors so you cant use yours without dazzling the driver.
(3) Drivers who have not noticed that light the far side of that bend is probably another car so do get ready to dip those HIDs/LEDs/mega halogens. They only wake up when you blast with your main beams. What is that about?

Back