Styling The Donz modding thought for the week

Currently reading:
Styling The Donz modding thought for the week

as some of you know, and some of you don't, i think a LOT, i like coming up with idea's and my current fascination is my Seicento and how to mod it.

i often have idea's that i reject, have no money to do or just don't have the ability to do and from now on i am going to post my current works and my current thoughts on here for you my fiat friends to add your thoughts to and give suggestions about.

so here we go - as we all know there are limited options when purchasing alternative parts for the seicento - a particular issue arises when we consider the problem of what to do with the rear lights - currently there are 3 options for rear lights

1. light masks - much like baby has just fitted - there are two types afterburner look - and another less common one which doesn't completely cover the reflectors

2. darkening the rear lights - i think matt has done this - it looks quite good especially on a black car

3. painting the lights body colour (thin layer of paint) - not seen it done on a sei - but it is becoming common on other cars - this also covers the reflectors ;)

so after considering and rejecting these ideas i set my mind into motion - i considered ways of making my own rear cluster and started looking at other designs i found these examples of a lupo and a focus both with the idea i had in my head

lupo_magic.jpg

hellarears.jpg

so the idea now is to replicate this design of light into the shape of the sei rear light cluster.

my first thought is how to make the shape right - two options came into my mind - fibreglass and metal

the fibreglass would be a matter of making a mould of the current cluster and then using the mould to create a similar fibreglass shape. then cut holes for the light components and mount them.

the metal would be easier to shape - just bend at the right point and cut to shape - but more difficult to mount the lights into.

perhaps a combination of both techniques could be applied as the fibreglass could fill in the space behind the metal front - thus allowing easy mounting.

i haven't yet considered
1. how to attach to the car
2. where to source similar bulb units from
3. rear light regulations

but i am interested in everyones ideas at this stage, especially if you have an idea's on the things i haven't considered - so fire away - i can handle critics so any input is good input.

so come on people what are your thoughts?

SEI POWER
(or lack thereof)

Consider ABS Plastic, you need a mold, I can't suggest a lace that does this, but ABS is the easyest thing to work with and it will get the curves like on the custers and its hard - just like LEGO bricks.
Let me know on the outcome.

Mike

SEI~MAD

hmm.. good luck.

Have you got the patience?? I'd go with making them from fibreglass. Metal is a right bastard to form.. and to make it look anygood.

Have you thought about sourcing some seicento rear lights and cutting into them (are they plastic?!?!)...

Or maybe grabbing some of those light masks you mentioned and actually using them to mount the bulb units into.. just a few thoughts.

banner.jpg

i've never worked with ABS plastic b4 but i'll have a looksie into it

patience, well i've spent the last 2 days sanding a set of 14" alloys down so i can paint them so i think i'll manage

i think the rear lights are glass - and the masks might work but it would be costly

anyone any idea the best way to make a mold? i was thinking of making a box half filling it with hot wax and using wax. then dipping the existing light cluster into it.

SEI POWER
(or lack thereof)

Sounds very impressive mate.
A freind of mine has used LED's from Maplins to replace his lights on his motorbike, this has passed a MOT as they show the correct light and are very bright so highly visable, exmaples:http://www.superlumination.com/leds.htm
Have you thought of making a fibreglass mould or welding in a metal plate in the clusters place and putting in several of these???
Would look very trick

"The Not so Fast but Furious"

making a fibreglass mould for a fibreglass construction, interesting, would probably work too, might even be easier than wax

LED's look cool - could work too - dunno how i would do the fog lamp tho - but rearlights could be a little LED cluster, Brakes a large cluster, reversing white cluster indicators yellow!

anyone know where i can find the regulations for what is/isn't allowed in the rear cluster?

SEI POWER
(or lack thereof)

Cr&p!, I hate site that use sessions. Try again:

Go to 'http://www.rswww.com'

Select Electronic on the menu, and then Optoelectronics/Displays/Indicators. and then Light Emitting Diodes and volia!

Mike

SEI~MAD

mike means www.rswww.com but you'll need to copy and paste the link coz the stoopid company decided as rswww.com as their domain name

and yeah the site has some but i don't want to have to wire up each individual LED - they do however have clusters

have a look at

Optoelectronics/Displays/Indicators->LED Indicator Lamps->Integral Resistor - the second one

and

Optoelectronics/Displays/Indicators->LED Displays->LED Cluster Displays - both

i think the second two are much nicer but only availiable in red

so i could use the
light1.jpg
for the brakes

possibly
light2.jpg
for the rear lights - altho what colour does RED+GREEN make?

and
light3.jpg
for indicators and reversing lights?

what you think?

all a question of legality as well

SEI POWER
(or lack thereof)

Viewing angle is a really big thing to consider with LED lights.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cinqs_and_Seis/
http://www.clubcento.co.uk/

Back