The British Touring car championship

Currently reading:
The British Touring car championship

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
Don't know how many people on here follow the BTCC, but this year was the best year its had in a fair few. It came down to the wire between the seat of Jason Plato and the Vauxhall of Fabrizio Giovanardi at Thruxton with JP despite having been severely burnt while filming for fifth gear (it appears a Caparo he was driving suffered a catastrophic engine failure and blew fire out of the airbox behind the drivers head and he now has burns on his hands, face, throat and full thickness burns on the back of his neck).
First two races were down to the wire with the first and second race ending with Plato, Giovanardi 1-2s despite Matt Neal's best efforts.
Then the 3rd race, In which although I think Giovanardi did it by the book and beat Plato Fair and square off the line Matt Neal disgraced himself letting past both Vauxhalls (one of Giovanardi and one of Chilton and then proceeding to try and make sure Plato had no chance of catching them by slowing down and planting his car in front of JP even tho he drives for Honda, as with all people who annoy JP it ended with Neal being given a good solid get the F**k out the way you meddling F**k shove but it was totally unsportsmanlike, Neal didn't attempt to pass or inconvience the Vauxhalls in the entire weekend and yet whenever Jp was to be seen there was Neals Honda either rubbing the sides, hitting the back or blocking the way forward, as JP said at the end there were four Vauxhall team cars on the track only one of them was orange.
Personally I always thought you drove for your team and the result, but Neal let two vauxhalls go just to sabotage Platos chances, I used to think he was a good driver but now no more he's an a**e

I have followed the BTCC for years, I go to at least 4 races a year.

I had to watch the final of TV yesterday.

All I can say is "FUCING MATT SQUEAL" I never liked him and now I hate him. :mad:

Would plato have won if it was not for Matt? - Maybe Maybe not? I just think it was right out of order for him to get involved!

I wonder who Matt Squeal will be driving for next year :rolleyes:

I have followed the BTCC for years, I go to at least 4 races a year.

I had to watch the final of TV yesterday.

All I can say is "FUCING MATT SQUEAL" I never liked him and now I hate him. :mad:

Would plato have won if it was not for Matt? - Maybe Maybe not? I just think it was right out of order for him to get involved!

I wonder who Matt Squeal will be driving for next year :rolleyes:

Matt Neal is great ..yes there is NO love lost between plato and him but that little pratt Plato well I cant stand him ..and NO Plato wouldn't have won it was obvious from the bad start and grid position he had no chance of getting the win ..and after the way he cheated at the chicane Justice was served ..Jason Plato BOO HISS (n) dispicable little toad

BTCC is great. (y)

i heard a rumour that Neil is going to join Giovanardi at Vauxhall next season. not sure if its true, but if it is maybe its his reward for letting them past :D

Giovanardi made me fall in love with the alfa 156 back in 97/98/99 when i could watch Italian Touring Car Championship races for free on the sony satellite tv network (not in english). shame the BTCC doesn't get real cars, although a vectra with a highly tuned s2000 engine must be fun. next month is Macau WTCC, you get to watch proper cars :slayer:(and hopefully watch a bmw get beaten by an alfa, well maybe, oh ok then no chance)

i secretly dream of the day Giovanardi will drive an Alfa in the WTCC.

Last edited:
Matt Neal is great ..yes there is NO love lost between plato and him but that little pratt Plato well I cant stand him ..and NO Plato wouldn't have won it was obvious from the bad start and grid position he had no chance of getting the win ..and after the way he cheated at the chicane Justice was served ..Jason Plato BOO HISS (n) dispicable little toad

That "chicane jump" was so obvious! LOL

Bottom line I am happy for Gio, he is a great driver!

I have been a JP fan for years, we all know his driving style is ermm... Unique? (y)

Think it's about time it was renamed BBCC

British Bumper Cars Championship.

They get away with pretty much anything because they're big TV stars. We had Plato coming around to form up on the grid flying between cars and people with his wheels spinning. They don't allow the F1 cars to drive to the gridslot because it's unsafe - so flying up the grid with wheels spinning is just stupid.

Especially since once he got to his slot they put his car up on the jacks and the tyres will have gone cold.

Ruff is becoming part of it tho now and while it makes good viewing for the spectator I think they really need to start to clamp down on it now before it gets completely out of hand :bang: Plato is one of the worst offenders of this [a real arrogant git] I think another is Rob collard who made a return in the last meeting as we all saw [he was very bad last season ]..we never get this crap from people like Matt Jackson and mike Jorden to name just two ..and the so called super stars are really need a rap on the knuckles now before there is a really bad incident ..I can see why poor Fiona Legget stays at the back now well out of the way :p

Here are the final placings for the season

http://www.btccpages.com/points2007.php

Last edited:
Platos a tosser imo. He gets away with way too much fowl play. I was pissing myself when Matt Neil didnt let him past and was trying to take him out etc.

Well done Gio.

Defo re. Plato, lost a lot of respect for him yesterday, I know there was a lot at stake, but he was using Tim harvey tactics in the last race (last race in 1993, championship should have been cleland's.....), next year JP loose the front splitters, and fit a bull bar

I like BTCC all the bumper car action makes for a more entertaining race, non of the rubbish in F1 like "the races are won in the pits"

as long as people don't risk their/others life then a bit of shoving doesn't harm anyone :)

Never liked Jason Plato really either on the track or on 5th Gear

I like BTCC all the bumper car action makes for a more entertaining race, non of the rubbish in F1 like "the races are won in the pits"

as long as people don't risk their/others life then a bit of shoving doesn't harm anyone :)

Never liked Jason Plato really either on the track or on 5th Gear

:hug: :hug: (y)

Was the best season for a long time, there was a lot of shoving but if I want to watch a bunch of cars going round 200 yards apart I watch F1. Its improved massively since Alan Gow the architect of the glorious super touring days returned.

I use the same kind of bumps he used in computer games pmsl.

The man is a fool.

I enjoy BTCC for sure. but don't follow it much anymore (weird airing hours don't help).

used to love watching rally, and on TV, but since ITV bought the license for it 2-3yrs ago I haven't bothered with WRC much.

I still go and watch it in teh local cumbrian forests and southwestern scottish stages :cool:

now you mention it i cant remeber the last time i watched WRC, it must be nearly 2 year ago. not sure how/why that happened, i cant even remember anyone else mentioning it.

The WRC was on shortly after BTCC on ITV3 (probably why no one saw it) although its not particularly worth watching, the only man who can take the fight to Sebastien Loeb in his Citroen is Marcus Gronholm in his Ford but only on gravel, tarmac events the only bets to be had are on how much Loeb will win by, Gronholm is in a small championship lead with 3 events, 2 gravel 1 tarmac I think to go. Its like the Schumacher era of F1 except you could always rely on Ferrari to F**k summat up every once in a while or Schumi to have a bad day to make things interesting while Loeb appears to be a diesel powered rally winning machine. Also this year is Gronholms last year so next year will be diabolically dull unless the force Loeb into a Picasso for tarmac events to even things out.

Anyone noticed how this year had been at least one incident at most meetings where a seat is hit by a vauxhall?

Every accident seems to involve one of the vauxhall cars as onslow-cole or neal take out possible stumbling blocks in giovanardis way!

Back