The BBC WATCHDOG THREAD

Currently reading:
The BBC WATCHDOG THREAD

Agreed - Garages are businesses, but that doesn't excuse misleading clients by failing to tell them it doesn't include an oil and filter change, then trying to flog them one on top when they have your car. That's just downright dishonest, and Stoneacre ought to be ashamed.

I was referring to the diagnostic check not servicing, I have no idea (unless you have a diesel with DPF and a high oil degradation count) why a service wouldn't include a oil filter?

Getting back to the reason for this thread......I contacted Fiat on Friday as my 06 Grande Punto started getting these intermittent power steering problems as raised on Watchdog. Thanks to Watchdog I realised I wasnt alone with this problem and the fact that over 150 people contacted them with this issue even before they aired it, shows the extent.

The local Dealer refused to recognise it and said I could only act if a recall was issued.
However, Fiat Customer Service accepted the issue and initially offered to make a contribution to the repair of this fault. My case has been referred to their senior management for review and have been told to expect a call back within the next few days.

Just goes to show that Watchdog does have an effect, if only to put some confidence in fellow Fiat drivers that it is a widely known issue and people arent alone.

Agreed - Garages are businesses, but that doesn't excuse misleading clients by failing to tell them it doesn't include an oil and filter change, then trying to flog them one on top when they have your car. That's just downright dishonest, and Stoneacre ought to be ashamed.

Read your owners service schedule, EVERY Service on a 500 lists
Inspect/Adjust/Change - Replace engine oil and filter
They are breaking the law, unless it was stated it was an "Inspection service" with advisory's, If not then they are falsely advertising a product that is not for filling of the description/Fiats schedule.
They CANNOT call it full service if all of the criteria is not forfilled.
I wouldn't pay this on these grounds, tell them this
Say
1,you knew my 500 had done this many miles and what it needed so why was i not informed of this extra charge in the 1st place?
2,they cannot list this as a recommended fiat full service because the product clearly isn't. . .

You told them mileage they follow the service schedule to the book as per fiat, but yet certain items on the schedule is not included in the price??

Read your owners service schedule, EVERY Service on a 500 lists

Inspect/Adjust/Change - Replace engine oil and filter

They are breaking the law, unless it was stated it was an "Inspection service" with advisory's, If not then they are falsely advertising a product that is not for filling of the description/Fiats schedule.
They CANNOT call it full service if all of the criteria is not forfilled.
I wouldn't pay this on these grounds, tell them this
Say
1,you knew my 500 had done this many miles and what it needed so why was i not informed of this extra charge in the 1st place?
2,they cannot list this as a recommended fiat full service because the product clearly isn't. . .

You told them mileage they follow the service schedule to the book as per fiat, but yet certain items on the schedule is not included in the price??

Before you grab your pitchfork with the fellow villagers, I suggest you read the service manual a little more closely (regarding MultiJets with DPF's)...

Namely, this piece-

dpfservicemanual.JPG

On models equipped with a DPF, there is no fixed oil change interval. The life of the oil depends on several factors and driving style, and if the oil change lamp isn't flashing, the Dealer will only be able to inform the customer if a change is necessary by plugging-in Examiner and reading the oil degradation info from the engine ECU.

Because of this, a service quote for a Multijet with DPF will never include the cost of an oil change, and common practice is to contact the customer as soon as possible after starting the service to inform them of the extra cost. If the oil quality is fairly good (say, 3-6 months left), we would usually leave the oil change until the customer had confirmed they wanted it doing or not. ;)

is says when engine light comes on or at least every 24 months. 24 months sounds like a fixed interval to me

If the Dealer knows the car hasn't been elsewhere for an oil change, fair enough, when it's 2 years old you'll change it. But without the customer divulging that info, or by plugging Examiner in, they wouldn't know.

TBH, it's rare for a DPF vehicle to make it 2 years without an oil change. Some will be 6 months, 9 months, a year, etc, so there really isn't a "fixed" interval, only a "limit" before it is recommended to change it. Which makes it a feckin' nightmare to price-up when quoting over the phone as most don't even know they have a DPF. ;)

Not quite sure what you mean here Liam (or i'm reading it wrong) but condensors are mounted at front of vehicle in the airflow along with the radiator and if fitted intercooler.

I didn't explain myself very well before. I did (i think) a slightly better job in the 500 section https://www.fiatforum.com/500/299505-air-conditioning-condenser-fault.html

Don't wanna go into too much detail here as this is for Power Steering really, but basically the condensor & associated pipework looks more vulnerable than usual on the 500. They obviously don't use road salt & have the amount of prolonged rain in Italy that we do (n)

Recalls? Were not talking recalls mate, VOSA site is hopelessly out of date to be honest

There would be no Watchdog program or thread if Fiat would have sorted the problem or recalled the cars.

I just bought an 08 Grande Punto. If I had seen this watchdog programme it would have probably stopped me from buying one.

It is a little worrying, as far as I know this steering issue has not happend to this car...

What would have been nice is if Watchdog gave us a percentage of Grande Punto's that have had this issue and if it effects certain reg/year cars more than others.

I just bought an 08 Grande Punto. If I had seen this watchdog programme it would have probably stopped me from buying one.

It is a little worrying, as far as I know this steering issue has not happend to this car...

What would have been nice is if Watchdog gave us a percentage of Grande Punto's that have had this issue and if it effects certain reg/year cars more than others.

Worse scenario is steering needs replaced, £250 recon unit less than a turbo, fuel pump, steering rack etc which can fail on any car.

If there was a car on the market that didn't have problems or issues or whatever you want to call it then we would all be driving one;)

Enjoy the lovely weather:)

Best you walk everywhere ,as every car ,truck,bus,taxi,plane ,boat ,motorbike etc ,no doubt has an issue ..Unfortunately if man/woman made it won't be perfect ,that includes the robots that assemble them,afterall man/woman programmed them

I had to get a new steering column on my 59 plate GP after frequent dashboard errors but my car was under warranty so Fiat fixed it for free :D

Bit of an old thread, but thought i'd put my two cents in!

My 2001 1.2 16v sporting (which is about to retire to a new home and make way for a Grande) has only ever had the steering motor go once - and that was purely my fault for having the 'city' button on 24/7 (oh, the excitement of 'city' button after driving a seicento for however many years! Let's just say I went a little OTT). After replacing that motor, and obviously getting myself over the excitement of the 'city' button, I have never had another problem with it in the last 4 years.

My 2001 1.2 16v sporting (which is about to retire to a new home and make way for a Grande) has only ever had the steering motor go once - and that was purely my fault for having the 'city' button on 24/7 (oh, the excitement of 'city' button after driving a seicento for however many years! Let's just say I went a little OTT). After replacing that motor, and obviously getting myself over the excitement of the 'city' button, I have never had another problem with it in the last 4 years.

not really your fault, city button is supposed to deactivate its self when you go over a certain speed.

City button wouldn't have made a difference TBH.

My punto dynamic 2007 has just broken down today. The battery light then oil light came on followed by the power steering it was also making a loud dynamo sound for a while. My mechanic is saying it may be the CITY button usage as well although i wont know what the problem is till it has a diagnostic run on it. Its had a variety of faults on it..rather disappointing to see them selling for peanuts on ebay at the moment!!

My punto dynamic 2007 has just broken down today. The battery light then oil light came on followed by the power steering it was also making a loud dynamo sound for a while. My mechanic is saying it may be the CITY button usage as well although i wont know what the problem is till it has a diagnostic run on it. Its had a variety of faults on it..rather disappointing to see them selling for peanuts on ebay at the moment!!

You need to change mechanic if he's saying that, as it isn't the case.

Sounds more like your alternator has failed.

Back