Temperature gauge

Currently reading:
Temperature gauge

A

Ant Wells

Whilst driving on the motorway today I noticed my temperature gauge fluctuating from the start of the red to half temperature a few times. Seemed odd to me so kept an eye on it and it seemed to settle, although not completely. My car idles a bit rough at the moment (getting it sorted soon) but I noticed that the temperature gauge fluctuates with the increase and decrease of the irratic idle rev speed.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? Oh and it idles likes this regardless of engine temperature.

i have the same problem mate, mine needs a new temp sensor as the connection for the dash readout is faulty. It makes sense that your problem would be a loose connection from the temp sensor, as revs rising and falling will be passing extra current through all the wiring connected to your engine. Also the vibration itself maybe making the connection inconsistent.

So yours will either be that or the thermostat itself. Both are very cheap pal.

To be on the safe side just leave your car idling and make sure that the fan kicks in - this means that the ecu will still be receiving the signal from the thermostat telling i that the engine temperature has reached half way. The thermostat sends 2 separate signals, one to the ecu and one to the dash (unlike some cars that have one connection to do both).... so if the fan kicks in then its the temp sensor, if the fan doesn't kick in its likely to be the thermostat.

i hope this is of help to you mate

oh and the rough idling, if you've changed the spark plugs and your certain there are no issues when the car is driving, then that is most likely the idle air control valve. Your car will be struggling to adjust the amount of air that is going in on idle and so it will make it a bit up and down when your stood still.

The fan kicks in fine, so must be the sensor. I'll give it a look this week as I have nothing to do now ive finished Uni haha

I changed the spark plugs the other day, but the car feels like it struggles for power sometimes, like it hesitates.

yes mate does sound like it'll be the temp sensor. Maybe try cleaning up the connection yourself and see if it makes a difference. I would change the sensor to be on the safe side though as the connection will get worse again if you temporarily sort it.

mike we'll have to see if theres a legal place to have a play around one day...

i've disappointed many a 20v bravo in my baby. back me up sly si aha...

I know it has no power...it's so depressing after having a 20V...but sometimes it just goes flat and doesn't feel like there's any pull whatsoever, even when in a low gear and foot down it just gives up for a second lol

thats cos it cant be bothered hahaha

Jords,i aint gona disagree.Karl's 1.8 was pretty quick and kept up with me..
The only thing with the 20v's they prefer a good stretch of road to get the best out of them

im not proud of driving fast on roads in the past, but it was on a dual carriageway where i manage to keep 20v's at bay, or an extra car length behind in every gear. a few mates have had a 1.8 bravo, and have told me that mine is not like there's was.

honestly, theres something wrong with my car (in a very good way). Im on par with my mates HGT punto the strip and thats chipped.

Since the day i bought my car standard it was never right. I bought it off an alfa romeo mechanic who i know, and he'd put loads of time into the car getting it running well... It used to run rough and idle poorly when i first got it, and then it got a bit better when i put on a Simota induction kit, then got a bit better when I put a performance exhaust on it. But when i decatted it it just seemed to idle and drive properly (and flew!!!)

It never runs right on anything but Vpower, and in the service history i found a bill for £1293.82 for racing line developements & tuning, but it doesn't say what it is for... They have no record of the car there and ive since lost touch with my old mate and so can't get in touch with him to ask if he had done anything to it.

The fuel rail has a custom sheath over it, and the throttle cable from fiat for a 1.8 doesn't reach properly, so i snap one every 6 months, and the throttle body doesn't match one ive seen on a fiat bravo before either?