Temperature Gauge

Currently reading:
Temperature Gauge

A

Andy P

On my tD100 the temp gauge goes up to the 3rd notch after a few minutes of driving but then often starts to wander up and down between the 3rd and 1st notch. It isn't going up and down like crazy but will usually drop down and sit there stable for a while and then move back up, usually moves quicker if I accelerate. Does the TD100 control the engine temp relative to speed? Should the engine temp remain the same (thermostatic control) regardless of the outside temperature?

Cheers,
Andy

Mines the same and I've a 1.4SX, it never goes above the 3rd mark

Re: Re: Temperature Gauge

Sounds like your thermostat is nackerd then!

My 1.6 used to sit 2 marks below half way in summer and struggle to get 1/4 the way up in winter (worse with the heater on!).

Changed the thermostat and now it sits 1 notch below half way no matter how cold it is outside and the heater works properly!!

Also seen a bit of an increase in the MPG!! Woohoo!

half way

Owned a 1.6 and a 1.8. Both sat exactly on the centre mark once fully warmed. No matter how cold or hot it was outside, or if the heaters were on or not.

Re: half way

The thermostat is new, only fitted in November 02 when the recon engine went in, it was a genuine Fiat part as well, not that that should make it work better. The hot air blower gets nice and warm so I assume the engine is warming up properly.

Re: Temperature gauge

Mine does the same thing, also a TD100, also a new thermostat just installed. Difference is that mine does go up and down sometimes like crazy. I'm suspecting that my dashboard temp. gauge isn't working properly, since the hot air blower also gives nice and warm air.

Re: Re: Temperature gauge

Decided to have a look at this today. Ran the car hot in the garage, gargae door open so I didn't gas myself. Kept squeezing all the coolant pipes etc and loosened the bleed screew on the radiator, only a little bit of air came out. The engine took about 30 minutes to reach the dash before the midway mark and then the cooling fan came on for about 5 seconds. All the pipes got hot, the thermostat body was hot and the temp gauge seemed to be indicating correctly, i.e. it went higher than usual. This may have forced and airlock out I won't know until tomorrow when I drive the car again.

Andy

Re: Re: Re: Temperature gauge

Andy, let me know how it went. Mine only starts going crazy when the dashboard temp. indicator reaches the midway mark. You're referring to a bleed screw on the radiator. Where is it located?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperature gauge

There is also a bleed screw where the heater pipes run through the bulkhead.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperature gauge

The engine ran a little warmer this morning, just reaching the 4th mark on the gauge. The gauge was far more stable than normal although it did wobble for a few seconds.

The bleed screw on my radiator is at the top right, viewed from the fron of the car, and faces towards the engine. it only needs to be unscrewed a few turns as it has a bleed groove along the threads. Mine car has an aftermarket radiator but I think the bleed screw on the standard radiator is in a similar area. At the weekend I wil ltry bleeding from the blled point at the bulkhead to see if this improves things.

Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Temperature gauge

It took me 3 goes to bleed the system on my 1.6. Ended up with the engine running and the heater bleed screw removed. Don't forget to turn the heater full on while you do this!

Had to rev the engine to get anything to come out of the bleed screw. Wear rubber gloves as you will get covered in coolant.

Temperature gauge - overcooling?

I've got a Marea 1.8 ELX, the temp gauge has never gone above 2nd notch, unless on a very hot day whilst in heavy traffic. Could this be a faulty thermostat? if so is it a job I can do myself?
Also can anyone recommend a decent workshop manual.
Many Thanks, Karl.

No success

Right, I've tried the same thing with mine, I opened up the bleed at the radiator. No air came out, just plain coolant. So I expect it not to be an airpocket problem on my Brava.

Re: No success

You've got to open the bleed screw on the heater pipe too.

Re:Re: No success

Anonymous,

I know of only two bleed screws, one on the radiator, one on a rubber hose coming from the engine. Since I'm a Dutchman, my guess is that when you refer to a bleed screw at the bulkhead, you mean a pipe between the engine bay and the passenger compartment?