Technical Telling 16v's apart, engine code etc?

Currently reading:
Technical Telling 16v's apart, engine code etc?

away to look at engines tomorrow, finding it tricky to tell the difference between a 1.2 16v and 1.4 16v just by looking

how can you tell? is there a specific engine code located anywhere like on the 8v's? i couldnt see it last time i looked at them :confused:

the only visual difference ive seen between the engines is the oil caps (yellow on 1.4, black on 1.2), which isnt much help as people seem to like swapping yellow ones onto 1.2's and black ones onto the 1.4's for some reason

any advice appreciated (y)

away to look at engines tomorrow, finding it tricky to tell the difference between a 1.2 16v and 1.4 16v just by looking

how can you tell? is there a specific engine code located anywhere like on the 8v's? i couldnt see it last time i looked at them :confused:

the only visual difference ive seen between the engines is the oil caps (yellow on 1.4, black on 1.2), which isnt much help as people seem to like swapping yellow ones onto 1.2's and black ones onto the 1.4's for some reason

any advice appreciated (y)

what i know of is the engine codes like on the 8v just above the water pump

1.4 16v generally have a aluminum sump and crank girdle (so much shallower sump)

also my 1.2 has 1.2 cast into the back of the block (under inlet) i dont know if 1.4 does have it on there but id guess it does

Ash

some 1242 also have alloy dumps and the heads are not a give away as there are lots of external differences and both can have the variable timing crap.

the positive of this is if the engine is not in a car and you can identify it then try blag that it's only a cheap 1.2 lol

what 1242's have alloy sumps? or is it dumps:confused:

think he wants the diff between 1.2/1.4 16v.

You not wanting to turbo the car now? ................

Ming

nope, change of plan, reliable power is the way forward ;)

just wanting to be certain im actually getting a 1.4 16v rather than a 1.2 16v, more or less the same job to fit them so may as well go for the 1.4 :)

Back