Technical TDC & valve Timing 1.4 12 valve

Currently reading:
Technical TDC & valve Timing 1.4 12 valve

kevin47

Hi, is there anyone out there that knows what end no1 piston is on a 1.4 bravo, and also valve timing. As this haynes manual has got me confussed. In chapter 3 it states no 1 is timing belt end. But when looking at static timing it states no1 transmission end.
And I checked a friends 1.4 bravo timing and his is timed up to no1 transmission end. But when I try to line up camshaft spocket, with no1 tranmission end the marks to not talley.
Any help please.
thanks
kevin

Im 99% sure No.1 is timing belt end.

When I had to rebuild my head I used a timing kit that locks No.1 at TDC so I did not realy pay much attention.

To be 100% sure if you get a torch and look at the back of the head by the inlet manifold the pistons are numbered 1 to 4 on the head.(y)

Hi.
It is piston 1 closest to the crank sprocket. Personally I would only use the timing tool kit it is cheap at about £25.00. To get the timing perfect you have to release the cam sprocket and re-tighten it to the new belt.
3470.jpg

If you do it without the tool.

There is a notch on the auxiliary pulley that lines up with another notch on the inner plastic cambelt sheild that goes between the auxiliary belt and cam belt. When that lines up piston is at TDC. Then on the cam sprocket is another notch that lines up with an arrow that is on the back part of the plastic cambelt shield. Not overly accurate

Rotate the engine until both line up together then take your old belt off.

Also when everything is in the right place your new cambelt will have two white marks that line up perfectly with marks on the crank and cam pulleys.

Last edited:
Back