Technical Tapping when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Tapping when cold

903cc Cinquecento S

Hi guys,

Wondered if anyone has some good advice.

903cc Cinquecento, 1998, recently developed a habit of tapping when it's cold.

This happened after a long journey, about 450 miles. I've only done about 50 miles since.

Anyway, tapping goes away when the engine gets warm. The car's done 78,000 miles and is scheduled for an oil change in the autumn.

I have read a few threads that say it's no big deal, some say it's simply low pressure in the tappets, some say that low mileage cars can be susceptible to this noise developing and that an oil change will rectify it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know mate. I wasn't planning on doing the work myself, just asking around - hoping that the replies would be more "it's just one of those things" rather than "get that thing in the garage right now".

I think you're right though, so I reckon when I take it in for the oil change I'll just point it out to the mechanic.

Cheers.

I've got a 1994 899cc Cinq which has weird spring-loaded tappets, which may or may not be hydraulic .. Yours is the same?

if the tapping noise is only there when the engine is cold, that's probably because the oil has drained out of them. When the engine runs the oil finds its way back in .. and it becomes quieter .. maybe..

When I bought the car 2 years ago, the tappet noise when driving the car was loud enough to deafen you. I fitted new ones (about £100). The tapping noise wasn't so loud ..

As someone has said, try flushing the oil system and change the oil. Other than that ... well, it's a Cinquecento ..

You can adjust the pre-load on the tappets but at the end of the day, it's still a Cinq...

just one of these 899 traits, all mine have tapped from cold even with a good flush and fresh oil

As said you can do a few things to stop them but the tappets also tend to drain overnight aswell causing the tapping from cold till they build up oil pressure again

this time of year i wouldnt have thought it should take that long to stop tapping. it is probably worth adjusting the tappet preload and go from there. its surprising how much difference that will make if they are out.

sounds like you may improve things, but it will always tap a bit.

Back