Technical Tappet Shims

Currently reading:
Technical Tappet Shims

Muzzie

My mrk1 turbo got noisy as heck tappets, and previous owner said it needs shims.

Are these easy to do? Expensive?

It's prgressively getting worse so I guess I better do them, but some prior hints would be good :)

Easy to do, just take the cam cover off to get at the cam and shims. you can measure them up with some feelers from here

However swapping the shims requires a special tool. This tool is not avaiable anymore. If you dont have a tool, you have to take the whole cambox off, remover the buckets and then swap the shims.

SteveNZ said:
Easy to do, just take the cam cover off to get at the cam and shims. you can measure them up with some feelers from here

However swapping the shims requires a special tool. This tool is not avaiable anymore. If you dont have a tool, you have to take the whole cambox off, remover the buckets and then swap the shims.

Cambox? You mean I have to take the whole head off??

Hmmmmmmmm, might just get a mechanic to do them lol.

best is to locate someone that has a lot.. Very expensive to buy a whole set, i guess 2 euro each, but there are lots and lots of dimensions

I usually play with volvos and already had a set for those, and was lucky enough to find that those shims also fit the fiat!

emil said:
best is to locate someone that has a lot.. Very expensive to buy a whole set, i guess 2 euro each, but there are lots and lots of dimensions

I usually play with volvos and already had a set for those, and was lucky enough to find that those shims also fit the fiat!

All you need to do is to take the cam cover off and measure the clearances before you buy anything and make a note of it.

The shims can be taken out without removing the cam although being a bit of a pain.

Volkswagen uses the shims too.

Back