Technical Tailgate sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Tailgate sensor

Jostein

Hello all.

We have an annoying little think with one of our Punto Evos (we've got several little issues for that that matter, but I'll take them one at the time ;))

The tailgate is constantly shown as open, meaning that the red warning light for "open door" is permanently illuminated in the instrument panel.

Comparing our two cars which are very similar (both EVOs, but one is a rather basic one and the other is an "Italy Edition" with reversing sensors, sunroof and some other bits), I can't really see anything wrong visually on the "faulty" car.

My initial thought was that there is either a sensor - or switch - in the sprung bunp stop on the tailgate. But this is a purely mechanical thing, and nothing remotely electrical to see there. Then I checked the contact piece on the electric door latch, but again there are 4 wires going into the socket on both cars.

I appreciate that this could be all down to a wire being faulty somewhere, but I'm just trying to understand where the signal for "tailgate closed" comes from and which wires, if so, I should check.

Anyone familiar with this function and how it operates?

DSC_3339 1.JPG

DSC_3342 1.JPG

DSC_3343 1.JPG

Broken wire inside top left rubber boot harness. Tailgate sensor is inside the boot lock. But the problem with the rubber boot broken wires is known for years now. My previous Evo had it.

Broken wire inside top left rubber boot harness. Tailgate sensor is inside the boot lock. But the problem with the rubber boot broken wires is known for years now. My previous Evo had it.

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated!

Yes, I guess I should have thought about that. It is a familiar problem on many cars. Our MG ZT-T has the same problem where the glass in the tailgate (which can be opened separately) won't open due to broken wire in the same place. And I remember we had the same issue with Opel Astra and Zafira where electric windows and central locking would stop working due to broken wires between the body and the doors. Same issue, really.

Great. Now I know where to start repairing it (y):)

Back