Technical Tailgate not opening - latch fracture

Currently reading:
Technical Tailgate not opening - latch fracture

UpfrontWAV

I hope this is useful information to share:

I had a problem with my (wheelchair-adapted) ‘07 Multipla tailgate not opening but could not find a solution on Fiat Forum. I could hear that the switch was working when pressed, but the tailgate would stay firmly closed. I couldn’t even open the tailgate with the emergency release lever.

On investigation, I found that the latch mounting plate had fractured, twisting the mechanism and preventing the latch from clearing the striker. The plastic casing over the actuating mechanism had also cracked, presumably after the metal plate fracture had led to some stress on the casing.

My local Fiat dealer told me that the latch part was no longer available as a spare but that a new design was available, needing a new cable. I guessed that replacing the cable was unlikely to be straightforward, so I asked about having the repair done at the garage. They told me that there would be a £75 diagnostic charge, to which I told them that no further diagnosis was needed - the mounting plate was fractured! They backed off and told me they could waive the diagnosis at my risk. Fine by me! They then quoted about £140 for parts plus £75 labour.

I decided to check the internet for a replacement part, found that my local breaker’s yard had a Multipla of similar age and got the part for £20 (self-service removal as he was short of staff due to covid). I cleaned the replacement latch and fitted it myself in less than an hour. It now works perfectly.

image.jpg

How it should look (this is the damaged part lumped back together - the reclaim replacement part doesn’t have the black plastic plate at the front and the actuator casing is in off-white plastic).

image.jpg

The damage.

How the replacement part looks

Attachments

• FEBC88B0-2DA2-4DA8-8971-1536D36D8FAD.jpeg
    FEBC88B0-2DA2-4DA8-8971-1536D36D8FAD.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 5AF3B4AC-EF58-4D73-8378-D7AADC649A25.jpeg
    5AF3B4AC-EF58-4D73-8378-D7AADC649A25.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back