Tuning t jet Mods HELP !

Currently reading:
Tuning t jet Mods HELP !

alextjet120

HI guys, right so im looking at taking the t-jet punto above 200hp.
my plans are as follows:
-upgraded intercooler (already have just needs fitting)
-forge dump valve (on its way)
-vxr corsa injectors
-1.4 16v n/a cams
td04 turbo- not sure if theres a specific type/ model you need
-downpipe/ manifold adapter to match
-free flowing exhaust of some description
-any sensors that need changing for it to work/ be driveable
-custom remap
now my questions are, will any of these on the list mess up the function of the car before the map, ie. the cams without being mapped in straight away?
can i run the standard clutch or will something go bang?
are the 380cc injectors a straight fit, can you just swap them in for more fuel with no problems?
other good ideas to keep the car running nicely.
cheers guys

Hi Alex,

You can get td04 kits with include the turbo and the majority of the stuff you need like the injectors, downpipe etc. The injectors and cams will need mapping in though! As for clutch, it depends on how you drive and what the state of it is currently in. Personally I would upgrade it but, some people will probably say otherwise. Just for peace of mind really!

Regards.

cheers dude!
ive seen the kits going for say 1000 euros 900 quid or whatever, but i was thinking i might be able to do the work cheaper, getting a downpipe welded and exhaust custom by friends.
obviously id rather have a new td04 if i could afford but if i find a second hand one in good condition it could save me a fair few pennies.
injectors and cams i will probably find from a nice new crashed corsa vxr/punto 1.4

i dont suppose you know anything about these 20mm wheel spacers ive seen on here. i would like to fill the arches for the looks, but if its going to cause problems with the extra boost/ be unsafe i wont bother.
Ta, Alex

Yeah you could probably cut some of the cost doing it that way!

As for the spacers, I'm considering them myself for the same reason. As long as you get hubcentric spacers with extended bolts, I see no issues as most people who use their cars for the track use wheel spacers and they are fine!

Which td04 are you after?
There are so many variants available.

Any idea on the size of the compressor/turbine wheels.

i beleive its the td04L from say a subaru wrx, thats basically what i was asking, ive seen so many td04 t jets and was wondering what people usually go for:confused:
then id need a downpipe welding to fit it? cheers

td04 13t ;)

You need a special downpipe plate to mount the turbo and new oil feed lines etc.

You can check here

http://www.revlimit.gr/index.php?op...de-punto-td04-en&catid=648&lang=en&Itemid=126

it's a Greek company specialized on t-jet engine upgrades. You can ask them anything you want. They sell a mount kit for the td04 turbo plus flasher + map for it :)

About the clutch, stock is fine but it depends on the condition now.

I was looking at these.. but not sure.
TD04L-11TK3

TD04L-12T

TD04L-14T "Billet"

TD04L-16T

TD04HL-13T

The td04-13t is fine for a tuning company as the bigger the power the better they look. I think there's quite a lot of lag.
Just think about some fun mountain driving.. if you ever fall below 3500 rpm... :bang: (n)
All videos i see about upgraded 1.4 t-jets... with the TD04-13t they usually make full boost around 3500-4500.

To me the sizes on the td03-1t seem to big for the small 1.4:
Compressor Wheel : 40.7 / 56 mm
Turbine Wheel : 52 / 45.6 mm

I am always comparing them to the standard vl37 and the vl36 on the 150hp... at least to the compressor/turbine sizes.

IHI Vl37:
compressor inducer: 20mm; exducer 39mm;
turbine 39mm; exducer 30mm;

IHI VL36:
compressor inducer 30mm; exducer 39mm;
turbine inducer 39mm; exducer 30mm;

garrett 1446: (from what i could find on the net)
compressor inducer 34mm;
turbine exducer 36mm; inducer 45mm

Anybody please provide corrections! I know the sizes are not 100% some are just what i remember reading a long time ago.

The thing is .. that i wouldn't want the engine to lag to much.. certainly not over 3000 rpm.

So I think something with specs close to
compressor inducer 37-38mm, exducer 45mm
turbine inducer 45mm, exducer 35-40mm

The bigger the turbine the easier the engine will breathe at higher rpm .. but more lag at low rpm.
For the compressor turbo: smaller inducer lower power at high rpm.. not enough air to consume.. but easier to spool at low rpm
Another thing to take into account the heavier the rotating assembly=> the more lag. The bigger the compressor wheel/turbine => the bigger the lag.

Lag can be diminished with the use of dual scroll turbos.

A lot of other things can influence how the turbo behaves.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The bigger the turbine the easier the engine will breathe at higher rpm .. but more lag at low rpm.
For the compressor turbo: smaller inducer lower power at high rpm.. not enough air to consume.. but easier to spool at low rpm
Another thing to take into account the heavier the rotating assembly=> the more lag. The bigger the compressor wheel/turbine => the bigger the lag.

Lag can be diminished with the use of dual scroll turbos.

A lot of other things can influence how the turbo behaves.

13t is the classic option for the t-jet as it's not too big / not too small.

Lag is not a problem btw, with the right map you can achieve full boost ~1.35bar at only 3300rpm and around 1.2 at rev limiter!

That's a huuuge difference over the 0.9 to 0.6 you have from a vl36. :D

So I'm looking for a td04 13t?, anyone got any ideas what cars carried them from factory.
I'll have a look at revlimit, being a big company with shiny new parts though I'm not sure I can haggle with them for a cheap boost to my project ;)
Cheers for the help guys much appreciated as always [emoji111]?️

Back