Punto (Mk2/2b) Sye. Newbie. Punto Mk2 1.2 8V Black Sport Active

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Sye. Newbie. Punto Mk2 1.2 8V Black Sport Active

sye

I like Beer.
Picked up this punto for the wife to run around in.
As usual it's up to me to buy the cars, maintain them and keep them looking decent.
Fortunately I love messing with cars so it's no problem.
I drive an BMW e46 320D Touring for my business which is a 2002 in black with 190k on it.
I like black cars but they have to be washed regularly so being a glutton for punishment I bought her a black 2003 Punto for £950 with 12months MOT and 6 months tax with 86k on the clock. It needed a few small jobs but it didn't bother me as I can do them myself and save a few quid.
So central locking, electric windows, nice interior, electric sunroof, alloys(not sure about the black, I may paint if the wife no likey), cd changer in the boot.
It's had some paint on the drivers door, bonnet and has had orange stripes on it in the past.
This left a residue on the paint which was hard to shift but not impossible.
Anyway I picked it up last Friday and drove it home.
Fitted the obligatory rocker gasket with extra blobs of sealer where necessary, new air filter and a quick wash.

Sunday I got out the G3 cutting compound and the mop which removed the residue completely.
Next went over with 3M Imperial glaze then a wax.
Used bumper treatment but it's streaked a bit in the pics and 3 of the tyres need wall black but I forgot but took the pics anyway.

Anyway, she really likes it. We had a Mk1 Punto 75SX in 98 when it was 2 years old and it was a great car.
Because she's only recently started driving again she fancied another Punto. It drives great and being an 8v it isn't too fast for her and no dangers if the cambelt lets go.

For those interested here's a few pics.

fq2.jpg

side2.jpg

fq3.jpg

rq3.jpg

r1.jpg

rq2.jpg

dash1.jpg

sunroof.jpg

srsw.jpg

f1.jpg

And for anyone else interested this is mine.

dfq1.jpg

intout1.jpg

A diesel estate. Not the most exciting of cars but 47mpg around town and 60mpg on the motorway cannot be ignored with the miles I do.

This is our old Punto, we had it for 5 years and 50k miles and apart from the usual pads, cambelt etc... it only ever needed a sump and never broke down once.

puntoold.jpg

Anyway, great forum with lot's of good info.

Last edited:
Thanks. My fingertips are getting back to normal now.
It came up better than I expected and looks really good.
I have to sort out a second key which a local locksmith has quoted
me £100 which seems about the going rate around here.
I'm really pleased with this car and think I got a good deal.
The wife is verry happy, for a change :)

Nice cars and great pics.

How long did the obligatory Gasket take to fit?

20 minutes start to finish. I gave the top of the engine a quick jet wash before I started to get rid of most of the oil.
It was leaking badly on the front and the back.
Bone dry now. I've just put a set of plugs in it about a half hour ago as I don't know when they were last done.
The ones that came out didn't look too bad but it can't hurt to change them.

I've ordered a central locking alarm system off ebay to fit in the Punto.
I used the same one in the Leon I had and it was a good system for £30.
Should be a doddle to fit in the Fiat. Famous last words...:D

The trims were treated but streaked after a wash.
They'd look better in satin black but I'll just give them a good cleaning

Back