Surface Scratches Removal

Currently reading:
Surface Scratches Removal

Ewan500

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a GOOD quality way of removing surface scratches myself? I do have some major scratches to remove too but suspect this will be a garage insurance job. I would however like to remove as many minor ones as possible as cannot get the bulk of it done until after March next year.
I have been warned against using T Cut as I'm told it can do more damage than good.
Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received!
Many thanks,
Ewan

Buy 2 brand new microfibre cloths and a bottle of Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Meguairs Scratch X (Both available from Halfords), apply the polish by hand on the cloth to a perfectly clean car, and rub it over the surface gently until the polish begins to go clear. Let it dry, and then buff it clean with the other cloth.

That should remove or at least hide the smaller scratches. (y)

Here's what it did to my grandad's Corsa;
corsa14.jpg

corsa15.jpg

Last edited:
Meguiars scratch x will get rid of small scratches as long as the scratch has not gone through the paint.

Many thanks for the advice guys, I will do as suggested! Was quoted nearly £1500 quid to get the whole lot done by a Fiat approved garage.... So at least I can get rid of the surface ones!

Thanks again,

Ewan

You might also be able to minimize the appearance of the deeper scratches by using polish on them. It can round off the edges of the scratch so that the light doesn't reflect off of it as harshly, hiding it slightly.

Ah good point. I will do some before and after pics to see how well it works. Tomorrow hopefully if it doesn't rain. The scratches show up very well on my black car so anything that will reduce it until I can get it done properly next year is good!

Cheers,

Ewan

Well, the answer to that was the subject of a post a while ago. Local window cleaner did it with grit covered hoses then had the cheek to deny it and not admit it. They are all over and down the driver's rear quarter panel, roof, boot and light cluster. I know for a fact it was him, but he didn't even have the decency to own up. Needless to say he was sacked and hasn't set foot at my apartments since! I'd only had the car a couple of months too so I wasn't very happy! £1500 or an insurance job. Although I'm not entirely sure how I would get it done on the insurance though....

Well, the answer to that was the subject of a post a while ago. Local window cleaner did it with grit covered hoses then had the cheek to deny it and not admit it. They are all over and down the driver's rear quarter panel, roof, boot and light cluster. I know for a fact it was him, but he didn't even have the decency to own up. Needless to say he was sacked and hasn't set foot at my apartments since! I'd only had the car a couple of months too so I wasn't very happy! £1500 or an insurance job. Although I'm not entirely sure how I would get it done on the insurance though....

£1500 seems alot, as most likely the damage is to the lacquer top coat only.

What a nightmare..... i would have flipped :devil:

I did flip. Not that it made much difference! The main scratches are very deep actually. I've now got some scratch x stuff so will have a go next weekend, see what happens......

Back