General supersprint full system

Currently reading:
General supersprint full system

pinkbay

mk2 sporting 16v
hey guys i am about to get a supersprint full system 2 hand off a mate
i no that they arent stainless steel and i was wondering wether or not it would be worth getting it coated before i fit it.
i no you can get manifolds ceramic coated for heat reduction and so on buit i was wondering about powder coating as you can get heat resistant ones. i can get the whole exhaust done for £100.
what i wanted to ask really is it worth it will the supersprint rust eventualy.
and they dip the exhaust to strip any old paint rust off and i was wondering would it damage the cat being dipped into the acid or whatever they use
thanks
adam

would probably damage the cat, but i didnt think supersprint did sports cats, only decat pipes.

the backbox is not full stainless steel, merely normal steel coated in aluminium i think.

for £100 i think it's worth doing, i've had two SS manifolds - one i didnt coat, and one i did. The coated one looks in much better nick

im not entirely sure tbh i thought it had a cat on it.
would the backbox not be damaged i.e the baffle material inside from being dipped?
and also if there is no cat how would i go about the lambda sensors as on my car now i have one before and one after the cat
cheers
adam

You could get it powder coated. I've seem bike exhausts done and no signs of heat damage. Being so short bike pipes get very hot. But ask them to go gently with the shot blaster - don't want to remove the aluminium coating.

Hey cheers. They dont shotblast it they dip it in asetone i think they said.would that take off the aluminium coating? And also would it damage the cat and baffles??? Thanks adam

My stove enamellers shot blast when its needed and they chemical clean too.

I've had all sorts of stuff done from aluminium to steel and the finish has lasted well.

Caustic Soda (NaOH) will dissolve aluminium and I believe zinc.

Dont do the cat as that will be damaged, but its stainless so wont need coating.

Plug the pipe ends to keep the baffles clean and mask off where pipe joints overlap.

cheers guys one last thing
How would i go about the lambda sensors if it is a decat as i have two lambda sensors
Cheers
Adam

Back