supercharged HGT

Currently reading:
supercharged HGT

I'm guessing you had a centrifugal supercharger if it only gave boost over about 50% engine revs.

I only have very basic knowledge of turbos and superchargers so I'm not going to even try to argue which is better. However I was reading an article written by Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) in evo magazine reviewing the Mclaren SLR. It apparently needs 100 BHP just to run it's supercharger!!! Rowan Atkinson made a very good point which was “When was the last time you saw a successful racing car with a supercharged engine”

Pretty much every top methanol and top fuel drag racer out there.

But then how many racing cars are out there with turbos?

I see your point but the point Mr. Bean was trying to make was that there have been far more highly successful turbo charged racing cars, than super charged ones in the last 50 years. Why would that be, coincidence?

Don't top fuel dragster still use push rod engines? I personally don't think they class as “racing cars” as drag racing comes from the US of A and all americans have very small brains.

I think supercharging lost out to turbos as Betamax lost out to VHS back in the 1980s.

It might be a pushrod engine but they make 6-7000BHP.

But thats a typical modduh comment IMO, oh its not 16v, its not got a turbo, it must be crap.

The turbo was actually invented first but they were not reliable. Superchargers lasted a long time and are now making a comeback.

7000 BHP sounds mighty impressive but dragsters have 8 litre engines so thats what, 875 BHP per litre. In the 80s F1 cars were running 1.3 litre engines at 1300BHP, thats 1000 BHP per litre!!!

I didn't say that push rod engines were crap, they're just not a good as OHC engines. Funny thing is I don't even like turbo engines I like normally aspirated (high powered with lots of cylinders), but this thread is debating which is better, turbo charging or super charging.

So why are they not as good as OHC? :)

The turbo F1 cars were 1500cc. They also suffered horrible lag in the 1000BHP+ days. The BMW genade engine was based on a cast iron block and lasted just long enough to qualify. They didn't race with that power.

So why are they not as good as OHC?

Ummm dunno. I would presume with OHC you can make the engine rev much higher with out it destroying itself (timing is more precise, less components to go wrong) and you can have more valves per cylinder? I'm just digging a hole for my self aren't I? LOL.

All I know is that all modern high spec racing engines are OHC, and I think I read somewhere that the only reason dragsters use push rod is there is something in the rules about if used a push rod engine you can up the capacity to 8 litres. Or could be that they're just americans and think they know best.

My mistake, I thought F1 were running 1300cc engines in the turbo days but your right it was 1500cc. But to be fair one lap of a GP circuit takes a lot longer than a dragster takes to do a 1/4 mile run.

P.S All the top cars at le mans these days run turbos (and OHC). Audi are going to be running turbo diesel !!

Pescorolo are non turbo, Creation/DBA are non turbo, Corvettes are non turbo, Ferraris are non turbo, the McLaren F1 was non turbo. There are less turbo LeMans cars these days. Audi and Porsche really.

Doh. More turbo OHC than supercharged push rod though. LOL wink wink (I don't have smiley faces).

Was I at least right about why OHC is better... sorry I mean, more widely used than push rod?

Please..

Crickey!!
Away for a little while and i come back to see this thread has really gone all over the place!!!

What have push-rod engines gotta do with anything?!?!? And back in the day most LeMans cars were turbocharged!! Silly powered cars tend more to be turbo'd than supercharged from what i've seen in the engine modding world over the years.

My little 1397cc turbocharged pushrod engine has been dyno'd at around 215bhp - and with a bigger intercooler it theoretically should be more by now! ;)
The little C1J engine in fantastic. Just need to get my aquamist water injection kit sorted for better cooling...

By the way, anyone see american hotrod a while back?!?!
Big V8 engined twin-turbo producing around 1500bhp at 79psi of boost pressure!!! Nuts!!! (I beleive that info to be correct...)

As the chap said, 2 pints of sh*t in a 1 pint pot :)

That was a mental engine. All ally small block with big block internals. Amazing what an old push rod engine can do ;)

LeMans used to be dominated by the turbos but the regs restrict the engines and there are different fuel capacities for the different types of engine, its all rather complex.

Will be interesting to see what they do to the tractor powered cars, I'm guessing they will have quite small fuel tanks compared to the petrol cars.

Sorry, my fault the thread going off subject, but its all good stuff (car related at least).

Good point about the fuel tank Tom, it doesn't say in the article.

"Audi reckons the R10 will get one or two more full laps of Le Mans from a tank of fuel than the petrol powered R8. This advantage could be extended further in the advent of a safety car or a wet race." evo magazine Feb 2006

Spec: 5.5 V12 650BHP 811Lbft

If they qualify well they'll be laughing, as the people behind will crash due to lack of visibility. LOL.