Technical Sump Oil Level

Currently reading:
Technical Sump Oil Level

I don't know if this helps but some oil filters have a non-return valve in them that stops the oil draining back to the sump from the upper parts of the engine when its turned off. Maybe the valve in the filter is stuck/faulty or possibly the wrong filter has been fiitted

While I'm here, Happy Christmas to you all!

I don't know if this helps but some oil filters have a non-return valve in them that stops the oil draining back to the sump from the upper parts of the engine when its turned off. Maybe the valve in the filter is stuck/faulty or possibly the wrong filter has been fiitted

While I'm here, Happy Christmas to you all!

Hmmm. Not used one of those filters so will need to research. However all quality filters come with a bypass valve which will allow pumped oil to bypass a clogged filter and thus protect the engine.

so ! for what you are telling fiat deliberatly increased " gap" in valve stem sealents and piston rings to increase lubrification and so increasing oil consumption ! do you agree ?
most after market oil filters in our days have the direction valve and the bypass safety valve incorporated , and that helps in faster lubrification wen starting . it's normal in every engine with hidraulic tapets after some time stoped wen starting having noisy tapets for few seconds until they fill up !
it will help if you change to a lower viscosity oil at cold like 5w40 but probably it also increase a bit your oil consumption !
has i told before , i had noisy tapets wen starting , i changed the oil for mobil 5w50 and now the noise disapeared !

Last edited:
so ! for what you are telling fiat deliberatly increased " gap" in valve stem sealents and piston rings to increase lubrification and so increasing oil consumption ! do you agree ?
most after market oil filters in our days have the direction valve and the bypass safety valve incorporated , and that helps in faster lubrification wen starting . it's normal in every engine with hidraulic tapets after some time stoped wen starting having noisy tapets for few seconds until they fill up !
it will help if you change to a lower viscosity oil at cold like 5w40 but probably it also increase a bit your oil consumption !
has i told before , i had noisy tapets wen starting , i changed the oil for mobil 5w50 and now the noise disapeared !

Yes Fiat did slacken tolerances off on the early EU unleaded vehicles. This is what I was advised by Fiat Technical back then when I queried the Tempra and Tipo official oil consumption figures. Thankfully things are better these days.

I followed the filter comment about anti drain valve and yes all quality filters have these. Oil draining down from hydraulic tappets is not affected by the filter anti drain valve.

Yes 5W40 will get to pump up the tappets quicker than 10W40 from cold. I plan on moving over to 5W40 at the next service.

My current problem is water ingress …… damn soft tops

Back