Subwoofer wiring in the A500

Currently reading:
Subwoofer wiring in the A500

Harley au

Im not new to car forums, but certainly new here.

I just picked up an Abarth 500 Esseesse last week, and am already finding it considerably more fun and usable than the supercharged mini it replaced. :)
My only gripe with the car (and its a little one) is the poor quality of the standard subwoofer. I've already dismantled the thing and stuffed the box full of speaker wadding and that helped a fair bit, butits not enough so now I'm looking to replace it completely with another under seat option with a slightly bigger speaker.

I noticed the connector to the sub has 7 wires on it. I'm going to take a guess here and say they're for:

1. Power 2. Earth 3. On signal 4+5 Left speaker input 6+7 Right speaker input.

Does anybody actually know what these are or there corresponding colours?
I'm hoping its that simple, but don't know as I did notice the sub speaker is a dual voice coil design which I've not really sen on a 4 inch speaker before.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
-Harley.
:)

Jobs done. :)

The seven wires are all as I had earlier suspected, and all colour coded from factory so its obvious what they are (red = +, black = -, yellow is switchon, etc.)
So the factory woofer is gone and I now have a nice 100wrms 8" unit in a sealed box in there, not quite the 500wrms I've had previously, but works well.

With all the HU settings readjusted to favour treble and forward fading, the subs own adjustments can make up for where the factory one woul've quietened off, so I am certainly satisfied with the new sound.
:)

Back