Subwoofer Casing

Currently reading:
Subwoofer Casing

bredsticz

I like to be different!
Hey, just a quick one. I know subwoofers are usually put into a wooden casing/box whatever you want to call it.
But does it have to be a cube shape? Does it effect the sound quality it produces? Or could you make a triangular one?

It doesnt really matter what shape it is as long as it has the correct air space and if ported, tuned correctly.
We could get into how a spherical enclosure wins but that is at a totally different level and even then still quite controversial as to if you could hear an audible difference.

Ahh so what's ported? And how do you tune a case? :p Sorry I'm a bit thick when it comes to all this.
I'm alright if the physics of it is explained.

Just I use all my boot space for work and baby pram so was thinking of sticking an amp under the passenger seat and making a case for a subwoofer to fit under the glovebox but not on the floor (so it would be more of a triangle shape! (y)

Also, is there much audible difference between sealed and ported enclosures?

:devil: Massive difference if done properly.
If you tune Low then you will absolutely rinse the low notes. It is this that creates that low end rumble. You will also find it a bit slower and will loose the High end kick.
Put it in a sealed enclosure and you will get a Brilliant high end kick which in its self can be very brutal. You will find that you will be missing the low end notes and sweeps will cut off early.

I tend to tune around 40hz but most (ok nearly all) would say that is too high but thats how i like it. Infact my Stroker was tuned to 50hz but then im strange lol.

Basically to tune an enclosure you make the port longer to tune it lower and shorter for higher. We can talk about that more hen you need to, but i would suggest sealed for what you want.

But you are in luck as i am personally slowly picking up information on front Footwell subs as i am planning one for myself. When i actually get off my ass and get the rest done. :p

Last edited:
:D I'd like to know how it goes for you. Would angling the sub towards the floor effect the listening sound? Also with the dubstep it's mainly all low tones so may port it then

Not enough room to port and it would need to face outwards really. Basically even for a small sub you will have to build from the floor to the bottom of the glove box.
You could do a Passive radiator but that is very difficult, i only know one person who managed to do a PR in the front footwell and unfortunately he passed away.

Ahh right, I just thought you simply used another speaker the same as the passive.

Calculating all the weights etc is far too much effort! I might just stick with a simple set up then.
Would just using one piece of wood as the front with the speaker in be okay you think? And leave all the back of it as the carpet and wall.
Or does that defy the whole point of having the casing

Its not a casing its an enclosure or box. Its much much more important that the sub its self.
If you put it there then you will have to fiberglass the back and bring it to the main baffle in front. Ill try and find a guide somewhere.

Back