Sub and subsequent Amp Advice

Currently reading:
Sub and subsequent Amp Advice

Front I have:

JL C2 650x coaxials

Back I have:

JL Audio TR525 coaxials

I now need advice on a sub (and amp to power it) to go with the speakers. I am aiming to go for SQ if possible not major heavy bass just something that will sound good and make it so I can take the bass off the above speakers to do them justice.

I have looked at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260717280858&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3125wt_983 which is the Vibe Slick Bass Pack 0.1-V1 but reconditioned so £60 but wanted advice on that or others.

I have a budget of about £100 for both I know not a lot but unfortunately I'm still a student...

Thanks for your help

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Have a look for a 12" JL 12W3V2. Cheap as chips to buy and sound sweet.
Should be able to get one in an enclosure for £40 leaving £60 for an amp.

thanks for the advice, even went down the route of beloved JL. I am looking on ebay now. JL monoblocks are definitely out the window for the sub tho lol...

The old e1500's or whatever they are also sell for peanuts second hand. I have seen many e2150 sell for 40-50 quid.
Its just finding the right thing at the right time.

have been looking at that one for the last couple days...but just that little bit too much as trying to plan money for the next couple month ahhh the life of a uni student

Install for £100, that is legend. What was the set up? What do you think of the speakers I currently have? (Am aware of the coaxials, sounds less SQ but I got them new cheap)

I wouldn't personally use components but as far as they go you couldn't go wrong with the JL's. I have had a few of their bits and all have been astounding VFM.

The install for £100 was.

JL 12W3V2 = £28 posted
Mac audio fearless 1 amp = cheated as i had it spare
Alpine Type e mid bass = £20
Altec lansing tweets + x-overs = already had spare
Wiring = Free from friends
Mdf and wood for false floor = free
Baffles = free
Head unit = £10
Component amp = Given to me free (i never got round to installing it though)

There not worth £50 each. Like i said 1 is worth £40 posted in an enclosure. I even paid £28 posted and enclosed for the one that i had.
https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63141

I managed to do a whole SQ install for about £100 :slayer: But that was because i know quite a few people and had a spare sub amp at home.

that sub in the picture is a w3v1 you can pick them up really cheap yes but mine are v2's cheapest ive seen is about 60notes each

oh i wish i spent £100 on my install :bang:

Yep your right sorry, i dont know why i thought it was the V2.

That install for £100 was just a bit of fun to sell my old car with as i had sound deadened the whole car and wanted to show off what it does to potential buyers. The new install :devil: There is a thread on that. I really need to get some pics of the finished build up.

just to update you I have bought a jl e1200 (£30 + £15 p+p) and a jl 12W0-4 sub with enclosure (£31 + £15 p+p). P+P that killed my prices but they miles and miles away so its easier to get them delivered.

Now just the wiring kit to get. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend the above wiring kit, first and only one i've used and it was nice and flexible, built in remote turn on lead is a nice touch too.

Only thing I have to say is, is there a recommended way of crimping the fork/ring connectors onto the ends?! I ended up using a really stout pair of pliers and my foot+the floor, then soldering around the end/connector as best I could (difficult due to the heat-sink effect of the cable) a few of the stands seem to slide in the connector sill though.

Your supposed to use a proper crimp tool but ones for large connectors are hugely expensive.
I often use a bench clamp to squeeze it tight leaving a little bit to fray at the top and then solder that to make it rigid.

cheers, doesn't sound like live done anything too wrong then, maybe should have left a bit more wire 'fray' as you call it but i was worried about leaving too much and shorting on the other amp contacts.

£23 for a wiring kit... Expensive :confused: Unfortunately people are attracted the Ebay cheap tat prices. Those things are cheap for a reason they are crap and usually very skinny wires. £24 for a knukonceptz kit is worth every penny and something like that a few years ago would have cost £50

My knowledge of car audio and pricing is improving...but what I have I don't think is a bad start. Appreciate the advice, buying the wiring kit later on today

Back