Stuff about Internet explorer that came up in the Uno Section :P

Currently reading:
Stuff about Internet explorer that came up in the Uno Section :P

How about this, Firefox comes with an EBAY toolbar built in, also Google, Yahoo, Dictionary.com and a Creative Commons (?) ones aswell,

Firefox is also less suseptable to some kinds of Virusus or some other nasty stuff :eek:

It is also mostly compatable with most thing, and with all my time in using it, ive only com across 2 :p

AND Firefox has features that IE dont, namely the TAB function, which allows you to have sites set in tabs at the top, instead of each having its own window, WHICH paul is good if your PC isnt as fantastic as yours, or for who dont have access to a super dooper uni access :mad:

the second is the Download thing (dont know the name) which shows the rate of DL and where you want it, (i dunno if IE has something similar, and i know that if there is paul will let me know :D )

and thirdly (cuz i wanna stop typing) is the password thing, which allows YOU to use the funtion, and not have to remember all the bloody things, but also stops other ppl using them

SO THERE! tose are the 3 most promenant ones since i have started using it, and so far, apart from the compatability issues, i havent had a problem!

AND NO! i didnt do Firefox to be "different" as i couldnt care less what i use!

1) Any PC that can handle windows can handle IE, and TBH I bet there's no difference in terms of speed. I don't have a super dooper computer, sorry if I sounded boasting.

2) Rate of download, as in 6.7kb/s? If so.....erm since IE 1?

3) IE has lots of password savers etc.

Re: how come this forums is always quiet??

I'ev never had any problems with Internet explorer. I've tried the others and I've got firefox but I never use it because IE is fine. I never have any problems and no advets either (no google bar either).

Im an avid Firefox user now. Never used to like it, but definately do now. I always stuck to IE, wouldnt be put off it. Since tryin out the new version of Firefox, i've never looked back. When i've opened up IE by mistake, i cant believe how crap it was in comparison. But then being a computing student that does alot of web design and coding, i need all the extra features associated with firefox.

Didnt like opera, although some swear by it i just didnt get on with it. Frame alignments never seemed to work properly, and spoofing sometimes caused problems.

IE: Its possibly one of the worst ones available to be using. Not through design so much, but as its a common browser, it gets targeted the most. And due to the vast security holes, it allows sooo much crap to get through - spyware, adware, warez, 3rd party assistants to be installed etc without the user knowing.

Firefox stops alot of that happening. It uses a different method than IE to communicate via the web so different apps have to interact differently. I believe the sockets used (networking) are different too which is why the viruses etc dont get through on firefox.

As for firefox being faster, its nothing to do with how it uses the connection properly, its how it actually runs through the code and renders the page. Its much more efficient than IE for example. I believe Opera is similar.

As for compatibility, Firefox v1.0 is alot better than the previous versions. It supports cross browser scripting, and vast plugins make virtually anything work.

So basically, get firefox if you want to save yourself from threats, have faster web experiences, and as whats been mentioned before - it does have lots of extra handy features such as popup blocking (much better than googlebar - many would still get through with 2 popup blockers + googlbar using IE), tabbed browsing (i personally hate a cluttered taskbar) and vast plugin support

I liked and used Firefox when I was having probs with whatever the fook version of IE was playing up..

The only reason I didnt keep it (its ultralight weightedness suited me well - I hate password savers and all the fecking irritating "do yu want to carry on" messages when transferring between secured and unsecured sites), was due to how tightly Microsoft integrated IE into WinXP (Would be running a cut down 2k install, but my computer hated it)

Firefox's tabbed browsing is feckin' ace, saves me ages trying to find pages thru open windows!!

I use Opera, you know I love it and yes, I am one of the advanced users who had simply outgrown IE and needed something smaller, faster and with more options. I need a pop-up manager (not the use of the word MANAGER not blocker), cookie manager (again not use of manager not blocker, I can read everything contained within those little cookies, even when they only say "he=llo"), the cached pictures and variable caching options were brilliant for when I was on dial-up and speeds it up no end (if you've never tried it you have no idea!), the wand is somewhat handy for sites such as this one, the zoom is brilliant when I'm having a blind day, the connections manager (especially when combined with the pop-up manager) means I'm never going to be overwhelmed with endless spawning pop-ups that crash IE on dodgy sites, and the skin means it fits in with the rest of my desktop, the Java is Sun's so it's up-to-date and stable unlike MS's outdated version, the keyboard shortcuts are well improved (one key for the common ones like 'back' - never understood why MS think you should hit two keys) and if your computer should crash, you can set it to remember the last pages you visited and it constantly remembers them (even if you have 10 tabs open it bring all 10 tabs up just where you left them).

I tried Firefox - it's a nice half-way house in terms of features (it has nowhere near the amount of features Opera has when comparing v7.2 to v1.7.5) but I've got used to one rendering engine and I like it. However as I say it is only for the halfway people who want a bit more control than MS allow you, no use for someone who wants total control or doesn't like the idea that they can mess something up and well, I'm a control freak :eek:.

Paulie, you just don't like it because you didn't have it set-up. Bet if I came to you with a list of questions of what you wanted in terms of the above and set it up for you you would prefer it because it would do what you wanted with no effort :p.

Re: how come this forums is always quiet??

pghstochaj said:
I tried opera, which many people also say is better than IE, no, there's nothing better than IE unless you want to fiddle around with a load of crap.

The main reason I got Firefox was because I got sick of fiddling about with all the crap that came with IE, namely Spyware and Adaware.

Plus you can get allsorts of mod's for firefox, yesterday I downloaded 386 files in one go using Firefox, if I was using IE I'd have had to download them all separately and it would've taken me ages. :rolleyes:

All in all IE is crap compared to Firefox.

IE is by far the most widely used browser on the planet, but that is simply due to the fact it gets shipped with every new PC running Windows which, lets be honest, is a pretty large proportion.
It's certainly not better than Firefox by any means!

Why do people use IE? Because it was resident on their system when they bought it and they've "always used it".

As a web designer, Mozilla is far more standards compliant than IE, yet still a fair proportion of people forget about it and solely make sure their work displays fine in IE.
A bit short sighted you might say, but when you consider that last week (10th - 16th January) 94.3% of company's site's browsers were running IE, 4.76% were using Netscape, 0.86% were using Opera and 0.08% were using Safari, it's not such a hard one to understand. 0 users running Firefox!

At the end of the day, why should anyone move to away from IE if it's causing them no problems? I'm not defending IE (and indeed not slagging of FF!), although it is the browser I use day-to-day. I only ever use the others for testing. (Oh, added to the fact that my work proxy doesn't let anything other than IE out onto the web!).

I just found this while surfing the net.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

Microsoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee. "Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, I don't use IE and havent received a spyware update as far as I know. It sounds about right to me though.

Back