Technical Struggling engine and steam when cold?

Currently reading:
Technical Struggling engine and steam when cold?

hi, i'm working on a friends 1.2 8v atm. It has a leaky rad and thermostat gasket - i'm sorting these but thought they were worth mentioning incase theyre related. Never got to the point of overheating though.
Basically with the engine just started, it struggles to do any real effort like pulling out of junctions. The revs just die of and it stumbles and splutters. Then even with the clutch in and a bit of throttle, it takes a moment to recover. During this, what i presume is steam is produced out the exhaust. Normally i would say definatly headgasket if it wasn't for the fact that after a couple of mins, its runs perfectly!
My freind is a little tight on money atm, so i don't wanna be doing the HG unnecessarily. So basically i'm after you opinions? Do you think its also HG or any other suggestions to look at?

Sounds like HG. Is it using coolant and have they ever let it go low recently?
Also make sure plugs & coils are all good.

A compression test may help. If putting a few ccs of oil down increases the pressure then its worn piston rings. If it stays low its likely to be head gasket - especially if its very low on adjacent cyls. It could also be valves but they dont tend to wear that badly on modern cars.

It is using coolant, but that could be just down to the leak in the radiator and thermostat gasket, so its hard to say whether its getting into the cylinders too.

If it is head gasket, its no problem... I've done head gaskets on these engines in the past (and as you probably know, its almost always between a cylinder and a coolant gallery on these.) But like I said before, i don't really wanna be spending money she hasn't got unless i'm pretty sure i'm on to something.

Also worth mentioning, i've checked it and there are no fault codes.

Last edited:
Really does sound like the head gasket. But as said above a leakdown compression test will tell you. Also Garages can sniff for exhaust emissions in the coolant.

The symptoms fit a blown head gasket though.

Back