Technical strange steering noise

Currently reading:
Technical strange steering noise

walterm

Has anyone experienced a what i can only describe as a 'groaning' noise when steering at low speed. It does not seem to be there when the car is stationary but only at low speed . Any ideas?

Is it coming from the steering column or outside of the car ?
My 2007 MJ started to make a noise from the steering column area from about 18 months old and carried on for many months until I mentioned it to my FIAT dealer. They replaced the electric power steering under warranty and its been fine since
No warning light or any loss of power steering, but may be expensive to fix if you are out of warranty.

It seems almost like it is rubber that is rubbing against something. It's not the tyres. It is also getting worse so have decided not to drive the car. Is the bearing at the top of the strut using rubber?

had a look at this morning , when I turn the wheel, the top of the strut assembly moves backward and forward. So I think you are right about the strut bearing. Now that I think about it I was experiencing unusual tyre wear on this side

well I replaced the bearing on the side that I thought was the worst and now I seem to have it on the other side as well. Is this to be expected on a car with 60k miles? Having a look at the one I removed it doesn't look like something that has been designed for longevity

well I replaced the bearing on the side that I thought was the worst and now I seem to have it on the other side as well. Is this to be expected on a car with 60k miles? Having a look at the one I removed it doesn't look like something that has been designed for longevity

Not something that goes with mileage, more age and type of use. For a city car it's about right, I got about 80k out of my Stilo which was hammered up and down a farm track several times a day for the year before they failed.

Back