Technical Strange Noise + Vibration

Currently reading:
Technical Strange Noise + Vibration

Dust52

Hello everyone, my wife's 2007 1.4 Grande Punto Dynamic has me puzzled. This forum has always provided a wealth of knowledge and answers with Fiats and I'm hoping you can help here too.

She complained of a strange sound only turning left recently, but it's intermittent. So I managed to drive the car a bit lately and I'm stumped. It's only when turning the steering wheel left, so small amount from dead centre or from full lock right back to centre for example. What happens is you feel a light vibration on the steering wheel, along with a not very loud grating sound.

I suspected something to do with the power steering so pushed the city button to try and test this, but it doesn't make more sound or vibrate more than with it off, steering still lightens up like it should. Also doesn't happen everytime you turn left, I'd say 80% of the time I drove it was present.

I don't think the wheels are touching or anything like that and from what I read, knocking at full lock is CV joints, but this isn't at full lock nor is it a knocking sound.

Only thing I can suggest is to put the front of the car up on axle stands and see if you can replicate the noise,without load on the wheels.
I do know that when the power steering/motor starts to go its not one specific noise and can take time to develop..
Plus whilst its up in the air it gives you chance to inspect /check for anything else.
HTH.:)

I would still say it’s a CV joint.

Knocking is when they are completely knackered and even when driving in a straight line, this could be a sign the gator has split and water has got in causing rust and washing out the grease.

Hello everyone, my wife's 2007 1.4 Grande Punto Dynamic has me puzzled. This forum has always provided a wealth of knowledge and answers with Fiats and I'm hoping you can help here too.

She complained of a strange sound only turning left recently, but it's intermittent. So I managed to drive the car a bit lately and I'm stumped. It's only when turning the steering wheel left, so small amount from dead centre or from full lock right back to centre for example. What happens is you feel a light vibration on the steering wheel, along with a not very loud grating sound.

I suspected something to do with the power steering so pushed the city button to try and test this, but it doesn't make more sound or vibrate more than with it off, steering still lightens up like it should. Also doesn't happen everytime you turn left, I'd say 80% of the time I drove it was present.

I don't think the wheels are touching or anything like that and from what I read, knocking at full lock is CV joints, but this isn't at full lock nor is it a knocking sound.

Top strut mounting seizing,?

Back