General Stilo remap on a 100k 1.9 a good idea?

Currently reading:
General Stilo remap on a 100k 1.9 a good idea?

Hey guys,

Really would love a remap on the stilo, but a mate has said it puts strain on the engine and with nearly 100k on the clock wouldn't be a good idea. Is this correct? I dont want to end up with a huge repair bill etc...

Also what kind of bhp are we talking, or 0 to 62 times etc. if it was to be done.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi mate,
My 2002 JTD has a Reddot Racing remap running 153bhp on rolling roads and i've just clicked over to 112,000 miles.

I've no doubt that the remap puts stresses on the engine if you drive it hard, especially the clutch, however things can be upgraded.

My advice;
Make sure EVERYTHING is running as it should be and has been fully serviced,
Make sure cambelt and ideally water pump have been changed (should have been done at 72k anyway),
If you have any further plans for new air filters/induction and/or exhausts then do these first then get a live remap last. This will make the most benefit of the map and tie everything together nicely.

I had no intention of going the whole induction & exhaust route so just had the remap and i'm well pleased with it despite the now occasional engine warning light (see other threads).

My car is used as a daily workhorse covering 25,000+ miles a year, i've had the map for nearly a year and it makes general driving a pleasure with the amount of torque and power to play with.

My Stilo seems to be a very good example as it's been amazingly reliable and i've had hardly any major issues that others have had on here. (goes off to touch wood)
This is partly because it wants for nothing and gets quality parts used when anything is replaced.
If you know the history of your car and you intend to look after it properly and not just mod it and expect it to go for ever then i'd say go for it.
This is just my opinion though and i'm not a mechanic :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice dude.

Its much appreciated.

As the car history goes there was none up to 94k. So when i bought it i had the cam belt and water pump done, oil change and thats about it really. It uses no oil and does around 45mpg on average (inc. town driving).

How much of a difference is the performance? Is it more top end or the whole board?

Cheers,
Matt

PNL, that's the thread i was refering to i my post.

Matt, i average 48-53mpg but i do travel 40 miles to work on a & b roads, don't do much around town driving so i think that's why my mpg is pretty good.
Performance is great, a big difference to standard even at my mileage, a mate of mine has a Fabia VRS diesel, 130bhp ish as standard and he thinks mine is much quicker even though the fabia is much lighter.

The power is through the whole range that is the point. If you get it done make sure it is somewhere that does before and after rolling roads so that you can compare the power graphs.
The main benefit is the smoothing out of the power, this is what gives the feeling of constant power rather than it peaking then tailing off.
Have a look in my gallery for before and after graphs of mine and you'll see what i mean.

I'll be honest and say that i don't think Reddot Racing have perfected there JTD map as you will have read from the other thread there are issues but not everyone has had them.
What I would not do is get a remap, rag the tits out of it, then wonder why it went bang. My car is driven hard when overtaking etc on country roads but i don't red line it, i'm 30 now so have left the boy racer days behind me, LOL

Cheers for the info dude.

I was actually considering the Fabia VRS but the insurance and price (for a fabia exterior) put me off. Was considering a golf tdi gt/gti but again price...only other alternative is a old 100hp panda.

If i were to remap it'd prob be done at angel tuning in gloucester. The problem is i'm reading good and bad points about them, guess i've got to make my mind up really.

As for faults, touchwood, there have been none really.

Cheers,
Matt

If i were to remap it'd prob be done at angel tuning in gloucester. The problem is i'm reading good and bad points about them, guess i've got to make my mind up really.
Good choice (y) In my view a generic map is far preferable to a live map (check comments already made for why).

To be brutally honestly, if I'm flying past a car or two when I'm 100% focused on what might be coming towards me in the time I've got - then I need an engine fault like a hole in the head (n)

You only tend to notice the map when demanding power and believe me when you do then you'll know all about it :devil:

Last edited:
To be brutally honestly, if I'm flying past a car or two when I'm 100% focused on what might be coming towards me in the time I've got - then I need an engine fault like a hole in the head (n)

Genius. I know the feeling. I didn't use a reddot remap, nor angel, nor any other common place for that matter. However, I get the engine fault now and then for a second and then it goes off, just like everyone else. I don't get any turbo shutdown like a lot get though. It just seems to be 'what happens'. You could probably disable the warning (which I assume is down to the ECU ****ting its pants when it realises how fast it's going), although I wouldn't want that done.

I got the rev limiter raised however ;)

i'm 30 now so have left the boy racer days behind me, LOL

I love your signature!

Last edited:
Despite the niggles I've had post remap I'd still say go for it - I think most JTD Stilo owners who have a remap would agree that there's a lot more positives than negatives............ I know mine is significantly more able than it was before (y)

Quicker to 60 it is (no idea how much), but mid range punch at full chat is deeply impressive and certainly a match for many more recent 150 bhp efforts from Fiat and others ;)

So long as you're happy with the condition of the engine/clutch/brakes then get it done IMHO :cool:

I'd advocate tweaking the suspension first though. No point in having that extra grunt without the handling to match :idea:

Thats a good point ABZ.

I have two choices (well three actually).
- Remap the Stilo
- Buy a Panda 100HP and trade the Stilo in
- VW Transporter T4 for kayaking, modified!

The Stilo is cheap and is a nice fix. The panda is new, responsive and looks sweet. The VW is practical looks nice for a van and means i no longer need roof rails!

Matt

I'd advocate tweaking the suspension first though. No point in having that extra grunt without the handling to match :idea:
Normally agree on most things you suggest Abz but not on this one.

It's true I thought along the same lines to start with (and had that silly episode of messing about with my suspension) but I can now say:

Just go for the remap (but read previous post too)

Straight line power and rate of climb on hills is just phenomenal. If you maintain your car well, use good oil, good tyres and generally keep it all together then you haven't got much to worry about.

Back