General Stilo Multiwagon Boot Lock

Currently reading:
General Stilo Multiwagon Boot Lock

cosso1

This seems a common problem of the boot lock getting stuck. I have searched the forum and tried all sorts, but no joy.
The problem with mine is I shut the boot and can't open with the key fob, as this seemed to pack up a couple of weeks back, I was able to use the key in the doors to work central locking, then press button on boot and it would open. But even this has stopped working now. There doesn't seem to be any power going to the boot solenoid, I have tested the solenoid and it works direct from battery, I have cleaned the micro switch, there are 3 wires that come from the micro switch ( does anyone know which one does what ). I have checked the fuses, all ok. Is there a relay anywhere that could of gone faulty?
Thanks

Have you checked & cleaned the micro switches in the lock mechanism itself?

If I remember correctly, one of mine slid off the 2 little pegs that locate it so it couldn't work even though the switch was fine, I also gave these switches a good few blasts with the switch cleaner while I was there.

Have you checked & cleaned the micro switches in the lock mechanism itself?

If I remember correctly, one of mine slid off the 2 little pegs that locate it so it couldn't work even though the switch was fine, I also gave these switches a good few blasts with the switch cleaner while I was there.
would this cause there to be no power to the solenoid?

If the "boot opening" switch is in line in the positive line then yes, the unit would only get power when the appropriate switches are each in their correct position (closed) to complete the circuit.

If the switch is in the earth/negative line, the unit should have a constant live feed to it, but it would only work when the earth/negative switch was closed and completes the circuit.

P.S. This should have come to me sooner, the whole boot opening circuit must have a constant feed from the battery somewhere, so you can open it at any time without the key being in the ignition. I am by no means an expert at any electronics, let alone modern automotive electrics. I would say you should check out the wiring diagram for the boot on eLearn so you can see how the circuit should operate.

Last edited:
my recent thread might be of interest to you - https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/296948-stilo-remote-central-locking-not-working.html

if you can get your key code from fiat and you're any where near southampton i can reprogramme your keyfob for you

have you tried disconnecting the microswitch switch then bridging the two connectors in the connector block that go to the boot lock remember if the boots open your need to trick the lock into thinking that it's shut before you can check it's working buy sliding a screwdriver into it until it clicks locked.

odd that your microswitch has got three wires can't see what the third one would do mine only had two. it's a basic switch on or off.

Last edited:
The lock mechanism itself has the 3 wire.

Actually it has 4 on the lock because it has 2 micro switches in it, these are negatively switched. A brown to each switch and then 2 other colors (gray and black) for the other side of each switch, then at the connector block the 2 browns are crimped to the same terminal and then they change to 1 black & purple on the loom side, back on the lock side the black wire changes to white&pink in the loom and the gray changes to white in the loom.

eLearn shows that the microswitch has three connections. Pin 1 from the body computer, Pin 2 should be ground and Pin 3 being for boot lighting. They are either all connected or all disconnected, depending if the switch is opened or closed.

Edit: This is the open sensing switch (sensing if the boot is opened or not). For the button to open the boot Pin 1 is ground and Pin 2 goes to the body computer and Pin 3 has to do with passive entry (?)

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but if you have a body computer issue, could this cause the microswitch no not work when ind boot is enabled? Microswitch works when key is used to unlock by pressing the button?

odd that your microswitch has got three wires can't see what the third one would do mine only had two. it's a basic switch on or off.

Just to clarify, my boot switch only has 2 wires, I had some how been looking at the connecter block for registration lights.
Anyway I have now took the complete boot handle off again and found that the micro switch is intermittent, but has now failed completely. The lock mechanism is working as it should, as when I bypass the switch the boot solenoid opener works. I am on my way to Maplins to get a new micro switch, and hopefully this will resolve the problem. I know the original switch is a sealed unit, but I am sure I will get one to fit. I did see on another thread that someone had done it.
Once this is sorted, its off to Fiat to get my code to get my Key Fob resynced. Will let you know later how I get on with switch.

Just to clarify, my boot switch only has 2 wires, I had some how been looking at the connecter block for registration lights.
Anyway I have now took the complete boot handle off again and found that the micro switch is intermittent, but has now failed completely. The lock mechanism is working as it should, as when I bypass the switch the boot solenoid opener works. I am on my way to Maplins to get a new micro switch, and hopefully this will resolve the problem. I know the original switch is a sealed unit, but I am sure I will get one to fit. I did see on another thread that someone had done it.
Once this is sorted, its off to Fiat to get my code to get my Key Fob resynced. Will let you know later how I get on with switch.

cool hope you get a replacement microswitch, if they do have one the same could you post how much it cost and possibly a part number from maplins i might get one as well. thanks

cool hope you get a replacement microswitch, if they do have one the same could you post how much it cost and possibly a part number from maplins i might get one as well. thanks
The part number is N95AQ £2.19. I did see on another thread that they had bought part number N96AQ £2.49, this one comes with lever, that I think you would have to remove, whereas the N95AQ is just a button same as original.

Just to let you all know I have completed the replacement of micro switch in boot handle at a total cost of £2.19. There is a bit of slight modification to do, to get the new switch to fit. Cut out old micro switch with stanley knife and make hole big enough in the plastic for new switch. Take note of how the original switch is located, for when you clip the top part of plastic back on switch. Also I had to cut a bit of metal of the locating hole in the handle itself to get back of switch to fit.
All done and works fine.

Hi All,

Can anyone advise how easy it is to check the Multiwagon tailgate microswitches. Some tip would be appreciated. The reason for asking is that I don't what to start the job and find that I do not have enough time or indeed the British weather does whats its good at this Summer.

Many thanks,

Aza

Back