Stilo issues HELP ?

Currently reading:
Stilo issues HELP ?

Mack in tosh

Hello all :)

Help pls

I have a good running Stilo (2006 3 door petrol) 90K miles - very clean

Do we have a Purge valve or an emission control cannister on the 2006 models ? If so where is it located ? is it in the tank or in the drivers side engine bay. Thanks

I see there is no fuel filter to change / service ? Its moulded onto the Pump I believe on the 1.4 ?

Ive had the car go into LIMP mode yesterday or / Misfire - wont go over 2k revs etc.

NO fault code diagnosis yet but ....

I initially thought it was new nasty E10 fuel - water in petrol tank - this Ethanol just exasperates this issue

BUT now I am wondering if it is me overfilling the tank ( which I did do in the excitement of accessing some darn fuel !! :bang:

( the stilo 1.4 has been cleared by fiat ALLEGEDLY for use of E10 - * but I will not be using it again !)

I am reading that if we overfill the tank it can cause misfire and ECU issues - due to the purge valve cannister sensor getting messed up

It could be other sensor issues of course - it was raining hard etc

But please any advice welcome

Thanks - and hello:) ! Newbie Marco

There could be a single coil per pair of plugs, or each plug could have its own coil.. but the first thing would be to make sure that all 4 cylinders are firing. If you have a coil per pair of plugs, that would make the problem worse, if there was a coil problem.

Dry everything off, make sure there's no water in the plug wells and then check that there's a spark on each plug.

The other thing that could go wrong is fuelling. I'm not familiar with the 1.4 but there may be a throttle position sensor on the throttle body, which is served by a connector plug. As above, make sure it's dry and in good condition. The internals could also be gummed up, so it's not a bad time to remove it and clean it very carefully with some electrical contact spray and a cotton bud.

I doubt that E10 would cause such severe problems. It has ethanol in it but if the car is running right, the 5% extra ethanol won't have such drastic consequences.

Similarly, filling the tank to the brim shouldn't cause any problems, even if it's not ideal.

Ralf S.

Back