General Stilo cigarette lighter socket

Currently reading:
General Stilo cigarette lighter socket

I have left the Side grips on , as with the board the grips clip had a small rectangular hole in the center section of where it grips onto the usb earth housing.

Was the -ve terminal of your adaptor just clipped onto the outside of the USB connector? or was it soldered to the PCB through the rectangular hole in the middle of the PCB?

Not sure if i get you 100% but because ive sealed it have to go by my memory lol.
Where the side grips clip onto the usb metal housing is where the hole was
Pic shows what i did if it makes sense.

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Image3.png
    16 KB · Views: 49
Hi I have posted previously about the same problem I have realised the socket in my van is smaller and therefore the plug fits better in that, but I need to retain the socket, as the supply for my Tom Tom is also a traffic receiver, so I cant use a usb port. what are the three connections on the socket? most I see on ebay only have two wires.

To stop a wobbly plug, put a band of insulating tape around the plug so that it's just level with the top of the socket when plugged in. If it's still loose, add another layer of tape, until it's a tighter fit. as long as you keep the metal wings exposed to contact the side of the plug, you'll be fine.
I've also seen people do the same thing with an elastic band.

Good tip that TangerineTractor.

Update on my USB , ITs Working WOOT, just need to get some paint to try and match the plastic trim colour, extremely light grey, pity its not black lol.

To stop it pulling out, i basically made a similar template to yours, except i did 2 large ones and 2 small ones, 1 lge & 1 small glued together instead of 3 like you did, then for the other large and small pieces i reversed it as it is coming up from behind. Into the Belkin usb i cut a couple of groves either side in line with the bottom of the bottom piece of mdf and cable tied it tight, works a treat.

Cheers for the Tips Davren , Much appreciated.

New improved USB Charger housing. Solid as a rock, doesnt move at all when unpluging the charging lead.

Attachments

• 20130520_105223.jpg
    20130520_105223.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 132
I don't think it warrants a guide.

It's just a BELKIN cigarette lighter to USB adaptor fitted in a bit of wood with a 20mm hole and shaped to fit the space where the coin holder was, and painted black. Powered from the original cigarette lighter power supply wire and earthed on the handbrake lever mounting bolt.

Get a genuine BELKIN adaptor, the first one I bought was a fake and started smoking as soon as I connected it.

Hi Davren,

I have been thinking of doing this for a while now, nice to see it has been done successfully. The thing that stopped me was the worry of overloading the cigarette lighter socket and blowing the fuse every time you tried to use both at the same time. Was also thinking of putting in a cable mounted cigarette light under the dash to hard wire in my dash cam.

Toby

The thing that stopped me was the worry of overloading the cigarette lighter socket and blowing the fuse every time you tried to use both at the same time.

USB chargers pull very little power, if you blow your fuse you've way to much being pulled though it, I've 5 aux outlet ports in my Stilo, no issues over the last 4 years, although from memory I did relay them into the Head unit power feed.

I fitted a belkin usb yoke after reading this.... good job, didnt wanna be buying/shaping/painting mdf etc to replace the coin holder tho so i gave it a good wash then bored a hole in it just, does the job grand.... Will post pic soon. Done it without taking console out, if u pull up the leather from the gear stick u can push the rubber up from behind and wire it in from handbrake gaitor. Since then however i wanted to fix my cig lighter as it was loose in the hole (but wudnt come out) and it didnt work, so ive taken the console out, but im waiting on replacement bulbs that lights the cig lighter ring... Then ill do a guide when im reassembling. Ull never get the cig lighter out without taking console out... It was tough enough even with console out!

Aye thats true, but you have to get the electrical connector off first, (very awkward via handbrake gaiter) and i found getting the metal cylinder out was like a rubix cube.... It takes about 5mins to get the console out and makes life much much easier

Good to know it can be done, i found it tough even with console out,... Maybe theres a knack to it... Still have to get the one in the boot workin too...

The cigarette lighter socket is basically meant for just that. The connection in the socket dosent go all the way round thats why you have twiddle anything other than cigarette lighter to get a good connection. A power socket can be bought at Fiat dealers for the Stilo. I think some 5 doors have a power socket at the back of the car. I bought one for mine about 3year ago it was £9-57 (y)

Last edited:
Back