Technical stilo arbath 2.4 5dr sillyspeed

Currently reading:
Technical stilo arbath 2.4 5dr sillyspeed

uav689

Hi All

I am off to buy (hopefully) my first stilo, anything I need to be checking in particular? looks like lots of issues with sillyspeed...

UAV

Thanks - if there is no history what should i get changed/maintained down the garage, obviously a cam belt change, how much is that in a stilo? any other common faults i need to look for? They look like a top car! i cant wait to get my hands on it!

HPI clear, no write offs or anything like that, so thats good news. I dont think it has a V5 though...

I'd say stay clear of it if there is no history IMO it's a clear sign of neglect. I'm sure a nice clean example will come along soon oh and too many registered owners is another sure sign of trouble..............Just wait

Thanks - if there is no history what should i get changed/maintained down the garage, obviously a cam belt change, how much is that in a stilo? any other common faults i need to look for? They look like a top car! i cant wait to get my hands on it!

HPI clear, no write offs or anything like that, so thats good news. I dont think it has a V5 though...

Depends on mileage. If it's more than 3 years old I would be looking for a coolant and brake/clutch fluid change. I'd recommend cam belt at 36K or five years - and don't foget to have the tensioners changed at the same time (some also change the water pump, but I don't think that's really necessary). Also worth making sure the variator (variable valve timing device) is working (listen for a diesel-like clatter on start up if it isn't).

Otherwise it's down to making sure everything electrical is working and there are no warning lights alight or buzzers sounding...

I'd say stay clear of it if there is no history IMO it's a clear sign of neglect. I'm sure a nice clean example will come along soon oh and too many registered owners is another sure sign of trouble..............Just wait

:yeahthat:

With the problems the 5 pot can cause, if it's not got FSH I'd be steering well clear personally.

Jon.

NO V5!!!!!!!!!!! stay well away from the car till you see it, it has all the info you need to ensure the car is legit HPI checks dont reveal all, is it a garage or a private sale?

its a dealer sale, 66k, 02 plate. MOT until march next year and taxed also.

The pictures I have seen it looks good, body work spotless, interior looks good. I know one of the flappy paddles doesnt work, it hasnt snapped off just not working.

Done some looking into no V5, direct.gov says you can buy a car without one, just another form to fill in and a £20 fee.

Is the 5 pot engine really that unreliable then? does it need constant attention? How much to replace the cam belt and water pump then?

You really need to get the garage to fix the gear paddle and get a V5. most of the problems with the abarth are gearbox related!!!! you are looking to buy a car with existing (very expensive) problems probably into the thousands (n) if the garage fixes it and gives you a warranty that is a step in the right direction.
The garrage would NOT have bought or traded in a car without a V5 so seeing that is an absolute must.
I would have walked away from it!!!! as there are plenty about auto trader,ebay and look in the classifieds on here

Edit-- look at this https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=14332&cat=28

Last edited:
Thanks - I thought the paddles were just an extension of the gear stick? I have been told it drives well and goes through all the gears just the +paddle doesnt work, would that lead to over problems shifting using the stick?

You gotta ask yourself WHY the paddle doesn't work and WHY the garage hasn't fixed it, my opinion is that the box is knackered and why buy a selespeed car that the selespeed doesn't workon it you may as well get a 1.8 and remap the engine it's up to you if you buy it but you asked for advice and this is it -- leave it alone and find one that works -- :bang:

Thanks - I thought the paddles were just an extension of the gear stick? I have been told it drives well and goes through all the gears just the +paddle doesnt work, would that lead to over problems shifting using the stick?

This car does not sound like a good example of an abarth or any car for that.................Walk away now and look for another example........It doesn't seem to have
1. The V5/LOG BOOK. If it's a dealer why not remember some delers have sold stolen vehicles before
2. Service history is a must just look at some of the posts on here and you'll understand why
3. Flappy paddle is not working so either you can't change up or down.
4. Cambelt change is a bit expensive if you are just buying the car why aren't they doing it?

Walk away mate a clean example will come along soon enough. It took me near enough a year for the right stilo. Is there any rush???

NO V5!!!!!!!!!!! stay well away from the car till you see it, it has all the info you need to ensure the car is legit HPI checks dont reveal all, is it a garage or a private sale?

I beg to differ as HPi check is more reliable than a dodgy V5!

What info will the V5 give you to make sure its legit that a HPi check won't :confused:

for a new V5 you goto the Dvla an ask for a V62 document, you can apply for a new v5 using this form and it wont cost you a penny if you are the new owner. £20 charge applies for a lost book not a new owner. i have bought a few cars on private sale with no V5 doc, hasn't been a problem.

for a new V5 you goto the Dvla an ask for a V62 document, you can apply for a new v5 using this form and it wont cost you a penny if you are the new owner. £20 charge applies for a lost book not a new owner. i have bought a few cars on private sale with no V5 doc, hasn't been a problem.

As far as I'm aware the only time you don't have to pay is if the V5 hasn't returned to you in your name in the post.

The only way to prove that it was given to you at point of sale is to send off the little green slip with it that you get when the V5 is sent off to DVLA for change of owner.

If you haven't this then you'll be charged the £20 replacement V5 fee.

I said an HPI does not reveal all MEP. it could have had loads of smashes that have been fixed but wont show on an HPI check as long as they weren't insurance jobs and I wouldn't buy a car without the V5 so I can check engine and vin no's tally up.
went to buy a cortina mk 5 years ago from a garage, checked everything was ok seriel number wise against the V5 :) only to find the car was registered as beige and it was red someone had rolled it and had it fixed and sprayed it, then chopped it in for a new one it was only 9 months old (n) (no HPI in that bygone era)

I said an HPI does not reveal all MEP. it could have had loads of smashes that have been fixed but wont show on an HPI check as long as they weren't insurance jobs and I wouldn't buy a car without the V5 so I can check engine and vin no's tally up.
went to buy a cortina mk 5 years ago from a garage, checked everything was ok seriel number wise against the V5 :) only to find the car was registered as beige and it was red someone had rolled it and had it fixed and sprayed it, then chopped it in for a new one it was only 9 months old (n) (no HPI in that bygone era)

But equally a V5 isn't going to tell you about accidents either.

Engine and chasis number can be more accuratly checked via HPi. V5's aren't fool proof, although I agree about not buying a car without V5.

Thanks for advice guys, most appricated.

Obviously I will have a look round this car and throughly test drive it first. I have also asked for some quotes on cambelt renewal, anyone had this replaced and able to give me a ball park figure while i wait for the quotes to return?

The V5 doesn't concern me so much, I will definitely get the VIN checked out on the HPI.

Reading other posts on this thread it seems that the paddles seem to play up a lot anyway, seems to be lots of issues with these 2.4 stilo's, putting me off getting one of these ever to be honest!

Get one by all means they are fun to drive but have a look round first at others that work properly then get one (y)

people on here help a lot and give there advice in good faith so dont ignore it otherwise you will be back on here in a month asking how to fix your sillyspeed box, and a load of "you were warned" posts will just **** you off! then your stuck with a car thats shagged out and nobody to help coz you didn't listen in the first place

Last edited:
Back