General Stilo Abarth losing oil

Currently reading:
General Stilo Abarth losing oil

bosske1

Hi all, I have some questions about oil usage... I researched this forum quite a bit on this subject, and found out that oil usage is quite high with Abarths. Anyway, seems like my oil usage is much higher than that - I lost 3l of oil in 2000km.

So here are the things - when I got the car, I normally checked the oil level and all that, drove it for about 3000km, no problems, checked the level regularly, everything was fine...

After that, I changed the oil, the garage put in 5w-40 wr, that expensive oil, and after about 1000km I got an oil pressure level warning... I topped it up a bit, but after some time i got the warning again... Drove it to the garage, and they said that it missed about 3l of oil.. That is not normal, but i did not notice any marks of a leak, and while driving, the car acts great - drives nice, no problems whatsoever...

I am now quite worried, but the engine has done only 82 000km, so there should not be any problems with it - and it sounds good, no funny noises coming from it...

Does anyone have any advice on what to check or what it could be... I am going to take it to the garage, but would like to get some heads up before I do so...

Sounds to me like the garage didn't put enough oil in when they changed it. The Abarth is unusual by the standards of today's engines in needing almost 5 litres.

And to limit consumption, make sure you use a good quality fully synthetic oil...

Ok, I decided to take it to the garage today, and will leave it there for a few days for examination... I am worried that the engine may be gone, but I would have noticed that, at least some signs - but it is working fine, accelerates great, I even went 230+km/h with it on the highway not so long ago... I think a problematic engine would not have done that...

the oil consumption really does depend on how well the car was run in and how your driving it..

on my 1.6 i can expect 1l for every 1000 miles, or if im driving it hard mabye as much as a litre per 700miles. :bang:

The Abarth requires 4.7ltrs (including filter) of oil and I'd recommend using something like 10w60 to reduce consumption. Selenia say to use the Selenia Racing for the 2.4 which is a 10w60 (rather than the originally recommended 10w40). My consumption has dropped since switching to it from 10w40... apart from my minor leak that is :rolleyes:

Ok guys, thaks for the replies. I have taken it to the garage, will be there for a few days. Other then this issue, I did not have any real problems with it, except the ocs sensor, but that is a standard issue... I am really enjoying the car, and it is soooooo much fun to drive...

normal useage for an Abarth is 1l every 1000 miles.

Yes the oil level dipstick in the 2.4 lump is stupid and I could never get a proper reading, I used 10w40 in my old one and it used about 1l every 1000 miles (I had a slight leak anyway)

10w60 seems very thick oil to be using in an Abarth though?

It's what Selenia recommend for the 2.4 but I'll be honest, I think it's the reason why my tappets are noisier now and the fact that I couldn't hit the bhp I was expecting at Red-Dot.

Well, that's the excuse I'm sticking with anyway :D

I think I'm going to either go back to 10w40 or maybe a 5w40 or 5w50... don't know yet.

It's what Selenia recommend for the 2.4 but I'll be honest, I think it's the reason why my tappets are noisier now and the fact that I couldn't hit the bhp I was expecting at Red-Dot.

Well, that's the excuse I'm sticking with anyway :D

I think I'm going to either go back to 10w40 or maybe a 5w40 or 5w50... don't know yet.

No tappetts in the 2.4. Has hydraulic valve lifters...

Back