Tuning Stilo 2.4 rebulid

Currently reading:
Tuning Stilo 2.4 rebulid

Cheers guys, I have a receipt for 85/90 so guess it's time to get that out, so no one has problems with selection in cold weather?? Mines been silky smooth untill this recent cold snap, and cheers Gadge I found the dipstick, what a good idea, point for fiat there!! (y)

Cheers guys, I have a receipt for 85/90 so guess it's time to get that out, so no one has problems with selection in cold weather?? Mines been silky smooth untill this recent cold snap, and cheers Gadge I found the dipstick, what a good idea, point for fiat there!! (y)

Yeah it's one of thier better ones :D no mines pretty good it goes in and out nicely if anything it a tad notchy if you try and change to quickly but this might well be down to worn synchro rings but certainly not tight

Must be time for an update on this thread, gadge? :)

-Alex

Update? You are kidding right where have you been :p unfortunately due to mounting costs and lack of time (and enthusiasm) I sold Enzo in December last year :( I really wanted to fit the modified head and finish the job off but I just ran out of steam for the project. I had my hands full with my 126 project which wasn't behaving itself and with another project on the go it was just too much to take on so I sold it on and bought a bravo (the one in the sig pic). I still have the gas flowed head which I'm trying to sell but the cams have gone. It's ashame as it really was a wonderful car which I'll never forget :)

Thanks for the update! :) what sad news though - must be the first post I've ever disliked! My heart sank.

Such a pity that it didn't come together, as you'd have been the only one to do this - at least on this forum.

I've had a few sudden Stilo problems to deal with in the last week - after years of reliable Stilo motoring, suddenly there was a split expansion tank, two ignition coil failures, and a leaking water pump. There's a few odd engine knocks, too.

But a bloody 126... "Not behaving itself"...! I'm sure you have your work cut out for you there! The 126 has a special place in my heart as by far the worst car I ever owned. I replaced it with an Uno 60, which was like 50 years of engineering progress. I can't think of a single good 126 feature - even the fuel economy was miserable, about 32mpg. Top speed less than the speed limit, what use is that? And the noise! A straight-cut first gear (once I'd swapped the gearbox, as the original had disintegrated with all that power) and lawnmower levels of vibration and harshness..

FIAT had the excellent 127 and 128 on the market - then introduced the 126. I wonder what the pricing was like.

Good on you for having the time to stick around the Stilo forum, anyway.

-Alex

Last edited:
Yeah was a little sad to see it go however the bravo that replaced it is really good. Obviously it doesn't have that 5 cylinder burble but it's a great driving car with plenty of scope for tuning. :)

You must have had a bad 126 to leave such a lasting fond memory :D mine has no problem reaching and surpassing the national speed limit for the UK (70mph) and I can get over 40mpg on average. Mine is noisy too but that's down to the new exhaust I fitted :D it's great around the corners and with updated disc brakes it stops pretty good too (y) and the lawnmower levels of harshness?...... Well that's all part of the fun :p

Lol, sorry I was in a bad mood last night :eek:

I was a student when I owned my 126 and like all students, I think I wanted champagne on a beer budget. The closest I got was two cars after the 126, a Lancia Thema 6V, with PRV (lazy, torquey) V6, auto trans (I broke it on a racetrack), digital climate AC, electric sunroof (leaking), the hard blue leather (split and cracked) electric seats, plush (stained) carpet, and the blue Alcantara (sagging) headlining, still one of my favourite cars but I wouldn't own one today, unless it was somehow pristine or fully-restored :)

The Bravo is a really nice car, like a properly-developed Stilo. I think they tweaked the suspension very successfully, as although it's the same layout, it feels more poised and balanced. The turbocharged engines definitely beat the old 2.4 lump for efficiency and lower weight.

I'm sure it was much better economics to go for the Bravo rather than continue down the expensive path you were taking ;)

-Alex

Last edited:
Back