Stilo 19.JTD M/W rear suspension bushes Essex

Currently reading:
Stilo 19.JTD M/W rear suspension bushes Essex

tymauk

Hi

Thanks to this great forum, I have discovered that the knocking coming from the back of my Stilo is most likely the rear suspension bushes are shot/worn. I have 3 questions:

1. Am I still safe to tow a caravan while the bushes are like this, or is it a disaster waiting to happen?

2. I am obviously looking to get the bushes replaced, so was wondering if anyone knew a relatively cheap/reasonable place in Essex that I could get this done?

3. Is it advisable to get both sides done at the same time?

Many thanks
Pete

Last edited:
1) worn bushes are not a disaster waiting to happen IF (and I must stress this) you are aware, sympathetic and not trying to explorer the car's handling envelope. Having said this prudence would dictate that you get the issue sorted out as soon as is practicable.

Towing a caravan only applies an additional 75kg maximum (one person in rear passenger seat) to the static rear end loading of the car. Clearly the driving dynamics, bounce, rise and fall etc. of a towed mass adds additional loading. However even if the bushes were to sponaneously vaporise then there should be no real dramatics involved. Secret is to not get into this situation if you can possibly avoid it. Many people get there and then get all ........ and oblivious to common sense and this is when what was a perfectly containable issue turns into a disaster.

2) once you know which bushes/components are worn then you can proceed from there. Any decent and honest garage will be able to replace the worn parts and unless you have a well used and trusted local mechanic/garage then get a written quote before agreeing to repairs,

3) generally with suspension / symetrical vehicle components with rubber/silicone/gas/oils ( bushes, shocks, swivel joints etc.) then unless one side component has prematurely failed at a low mileage then it is adviseable to get both sides done at the same time. While they have the car, on the ramps, etc. than it makes sense to maximise time/effort in the garage at this time for little extra labour cost) then have to return at a later date to have the other side/components replaced.

Again a decent and trustworthy garage will/should offer the correct and sound advice. And if your garage incorrectly recommends replacing both sides then at least you will still have two new and balanced components in the suspension system.

I hate giving/offerring this type of 50/50 advice as ultimately only you and your mechanic can make the call based on what they see.

Last edited:
Back