Technical stilo 1.8 clutch wide biting point

Currently reading:
Technical stilo 1.8 clutch wide biting point

kabutto

So my stilo has a very wide clutch biting point, compared to everything ive driven before.
What im used to: quickly release clutch half way to 3/4 until it starts to bite, then slowly release the 1-2cm until it engages fully and drive away. easy

What stilo does: release pedal until half way when it starts to bite, then slowly release another 5+ cm until it engages fully. So the pedal travel between clutch starting to grip and fully clamping is very long. So then driving off slowly is not an issue, but starting to go fast is a painful process. If i release it too slow - clutch burns, if i release it too fast, the car judders uncomfortably. Its like a 2 step clutch movement and it is very unusual..

Are all stilos like this ? Any input is very appreciated, before i get too annoyed and bring it for a clutch change.

The clutch itself is not slipping though

If it shudders then it could be the release bearing or one of the springs on the clutch plate may have moved out of position, could also be a warped clutch plate. Also try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system

I'd agree with Dtimmins. It could be a whole host of different things. Have a look see if you can spot any leaks around the master or slave cylinders in case a seal has gone and it's taking in air.

Clutch runs on brake fluid which is hydroscopic, so it'll pick up any moisture out the humidity in the air if it is leaking.

Brake and clutch fluid should be changed every 5 years roughly but is a frequently overlooked service item, so as said you can always replace it. Its by no means a difficult job to do so long as you don't let air into the system (air in the ABS pump is a nightmare) but it is laborious as you have to run round all 4 corners draining out the old dirty fluid - you will see the difference though.

Otherwise I think your most sensible resolution is going to be clutch change.

Well, something was up alright.
Got of a highway, went to push the clutch in and the pedal just plopped to the floor and stayed there. (n)
Many coins later, I have a new clutch installed. Supposedly the slave cylinder sprung a leak, and since it was inside the gearbox, everything had to go.

Why it was designed that way I'll never understand :confused:

Well, something was up alright.
Got of a highway, went to push the clutch in and the pedal just plopped to the floor and stayed there. (n)
Many coins later, I have a new clutch installed. Supposedly the slave cylinder sprung a leak, and since it was inside the gearbox, everything had to go.

Why it was designed that way I'll never understand :confused:

I'm not a fan myself but most manufacturers have gone this way it removes need for pivot and fork, also input shaft and bell housing can be shorter leaving more room under the bonnet.

Back