Technical stilo 1.6 engine noisy

Currently reading:
Technical stilo 1.6 engine noisy

stilo_toy

Hi folks,
Do any of you drive a Stilo 1.6 petrol and if so does your engine make a loud tappet noise especially when cold. I had the noise checked by the Fiat garage I bought the car off and they tell me this is perfectly normal and the engine is fine.
I am not sure if they are pulling a fast one or is this true? Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks
stilo_toy

Yup, mine does this but only untill the temp gauge needle gets up to the first white line. Maybe the 1.6's need thicker oil? :confused:

(y) Yeah my old 1.6 Stilo did this every morning for a few secs then it ran quietly. My 1.6 Bravo before it did just the same. Its just the engine. Tappets filling with oil is what i was told?!

paulmacs said:
(y) Yeah my old 1.6 Stilo did this every morning for a few secs then it ran quietly. My 1.6 Bravo before it did just the same. Its just the engine. Tappets filling with oil is what i was told?!

Something like that... Non-synthetic oil is more viscous when cold, and only really starts lubricating when it heats up a bit. The noise should go away completely if you change to fully synthetic oil.

Our 1.6 had covered 24,000 miles and on starting sounded like the cam and pistons were going to jump out of the engine. Visits to the Fiat dealer was as much good as a condom machine in the vatican. After contacting Fiat HQ and subsequent investigations it turns out the bores were machined out too large at the factory and screwed the pistons.

Result:
New engine!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Paid for under warranty (y) (y) (y)

Ash and Dawn

To be fair mine's noisy as well especially at start up ..... sometimes it quietens down when warm ... some times it's just a noisy warm ... doesn't seem to have any problem with performance and I kind of like the rorty noise of the engine ... the only really issue is that I find the idle quite lumpy - you can feel it when the car is stationary ... I was used to this coming from a diesel ... but I expected a 1.6 petrol to be considerably smoother... coming up for the second service now at 15,000 miles ... so hopefully an oil change will make a difference ...

Please don't mention new engine lt makes me feel ill.... :yuck: :yuck:

I like the sound of the 1.6. Sounds like a diesel starting up, has as good mpg as the diesels by the sounds of the oil heads JTD thread 38-45mpg but it smells nicer cos it's a petrol. :)

Type of oil you use does make a difference to engine start up noise

Last edited:
Back