Technical Stilo 1.6 5 speed to 6 speed

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.6 5 speed to 6 speed

TheBlackRazor

Ciao guys!

Searching across the deep stuff in this forum (mostly pre-2016), I came across a thread describing the differences among Stilo gearboxes.

I know the Stilo 1.2 and 1.4 both use the C514 6 speed and that the 1.6 model uses the C514R 5 speed gearbox.

What has crossed my mind several times now, is that both gearboxes are very, very similar (both have the reverse gear far down right and you need to pull the knob in order to engage the reverse). But the bell housing itself is very different as it features the starter motor on the other side (if I'm not mistaken). It looks very similar to the one fitted on the Fiat Punto GT and Fiat Bravo/Brava 1.6 16V (later models).

So the question is: has anyone actually tried and succeeded to transplant the 6 speed internals onto a "classic" 5 speed C514R? I know a lot of people would like to use the longer 6th gear for highway cruising at higer RPM while maintaining good acceleration with the lower gears. The C514 6 speed also doesn't seem to be plagued with the dreadful diff pin failure that is the cause for many many gearbox failures on the 1.6's.

Any info of you doing this or someone you know will be very helpful!

If you achieved it, I'm sure you would be the first! The closest I got was finding out that a six speed manual was fitted to the Lancia Thesis which also had the 5-cylinder 2.4 engine, so might be compatible with the Stilo Abarth models...

Yes, the Lancia Thesis 2.4 20V Benzina had a 6 speed manual gearbox which is the C530 6 speed. Greek folks have managed to put it onto their Stilo Abarths (with some modifications I suppose).

The issue with the Stilo 1.6 engine is that it is the oldest among the Stilo line. It is essentially an evolution of the FIAT SOHC engine. That's why the bell housing looks almost the same with the gearboxes fitted in the late 80's FIAT Uno and later Punto GT's.

I am sure that if you heavily mod the C514R stock gearbox, there WILL be a way to make it work.

I think the main issue will be one of physical space. With the 5-cyl engine it's pretty tight down there! In fact if you inspect the inner n/s wheel arch you'll find the 5-cyl has a hole cut out of the bodywork to allow even the five-speed gearbox to fit. So unless the 6-speed has the same size casing, I doubt there would be room.

My point is to somehow retrofit a 6-speed C514 (from Stilo 1.2/1.4 or Punto) to the Stilo 1.6 bell housing. I know the situation with the 5-cyl but I'm not talking about that.

Some folks had said that a 53 plate UK Stilo 1.6 had a 6 speed? Do we know if this came from the factory like that or it was modded somehow?

So, I'm in the US and picked up a 2012 500 Sport with a bad motor and a manual transmission. Swapped the motor and got it running, but the odd thing is, it seems to have 6 gears. I have no idea if it's the original transmission, but I do know it looks identical to a C514-5.

Attachments

• 20240111_145902.mp4
    46.9 MB
If it looks identical to C514.5 but has 6 gears then it is the C514.6. Does it have the 1.2L engine?

Back