Technical Stilo 1.4 heat shield

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.4 heat shield

Hi folks
How essential is the aluminium heat shield that's attached to the cat, at the front of the engine. Mine's corroded and holed around all of the fixings (currently held on with cable ties......). I know that a fair amount of heat is generated around that area, but wondered how essential it really is and if it is possible just to do away with it?
Cheers and TIA.

Yeah I saw a post on here (I think )of an air box with a hole in the bottom that was caused by removing the heat shield ...My air box on my Idea 1.4 was damaged 'cos the previous owner broke the air box brackets so the air box sat down on the heat shield and heat melted the bottom clips ...I repaired it with a bit of thin steel and some self tappers and epoxy glue and cable ties ...and made up some brackets to hold it up....One day I'll find a replacement air box ....they seem very hard to get ...any clues ?

How essential is the aluminium heat shield that's attached to the cat, at the front of the engine. Mine's corroded and holed around all of the fixings (currently held on with cable ties......). I know that a fair amount of heat is generated around that area, but wondered how essential it really is and if it is possible just to do away with it?

You have to ask yourself; Why did Fiat fit it?

Was it because they had some spare aluminium they didn't know what to do with? In which case the would have to spend money to fabricate the part, buy the bolts to secure it and pay for either a robot or human to attach it to the engine.

OR.... Was it because the designer decided it was necessary to... well, act as a heat shield?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Got a good used heat shield which I've put on. My fears were realised though cos the two fixings at the bottom of the cat were seized/ rusted solid (one broke off and the other I couldn't shift it). However the new shield seems pretty secure and rattle free with the 4 fixings at the top end and the one in the middle, for the moment at least....

Back