Technical Stiff gearchange

Currently reading:
Technical Stiff gearchange

P1NKY

...so many Panda's...
...and getting stiffer, so I wondered if there are any suggestions for what I could check.

It's a low mileage 4X4 and sat in a garage for 20 years, so I wondered if something might need greasing or tweaking.

I've changed the gearbox oil, the clutch seems fine and the garage had a go at greasing / oiling everything when it was reconditioned, but I'm not sure how expert they were in the ways of the Panda. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Underneath the boot at the base of the lever, there's a split rubber 'U' bush that clamps around the shift rod. I don't think they're available anymore from Fiat unfortunately.
But if it's still intact then I would suspect that bit as capable of creating friction just because of it's size. - Because it is made of rubber I'd use red rubber grease to lube it.
Good luck.

Underneath the boot at the base of the lever, there's a split rubber 'U' bush that clamps around the shift rod. I don't think they're available anymore from Fiat unfortunately.
But if it's still intact then I would suspect that bit as capable of creating friction just because of it's size. - Because it is made of rubber I'd use red rubber grease to lube it.
Good luck.

There you go mate

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PAND...ORT-MOUNTING-RUBBER-PAD-5945787-/281479654103

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
How is it stiff?
Going into gears forward and backwards or moving across the box left and right?

It's stiff moving backwards and forwards into and out of gear DragonMan.

The previous owner had sprayed 8 gallons of waxoyl over the car before he parked it up (in 1998), so perhaps that has dried out any rubbery bits.

ahh right. well its not a hard job to get it right, theres a few things on the linkages that this could be.

silicone grease and wd-40 spray can at the ready!

first off get your sen under the car, when under there you will see loads of linkages.. pop all the linkage ball joints off and give them some silicone grease.. i dont think that the ball joints are what is causing the stiff movement though..

my money is on the linkage control arm (im not sure of the right name for this)
see it here: >>LinK<<
(rotate picture 90 degrees, so the bit with the ball joint is at the bottom. that is how it is fitted on the panda.)

these little guys have the tendency to snap a little weld on the top of the linkage that causes the gear stick to have excessive movement going into and out of gears. however, if a panda has been stood for some time this can really get locked up.

sadly it can be imposable to take apart if the weld is still good.. my advice would be to spray it with WD-40 at the top of the .. linkage arm thingy.. (see link) and see if that helps.

also heating the thing up seems to free it up a bit too. on mine the weld had snapped, so i took the opportunity to dribble a bit of engine oil on it, before i welded the nut back on top. the heat must have helped the oil get into it past the nylon bushes.

ahh on that note too if you do use some heat on it, try not to get it too hot as you could damage those nylon bushes... though i must admit mine have taken quite a beating when it comes to heat.. and the gear change feels great.

hope this helps.

Re: Stiff gear change panda cross 2010

I have just changed gear cables on a panda cross 4x4 1.3 multijet. I tried lubrication on the cables and this worked fine for 7 days then no gear selection possible.
The biggest problem to changing cables is removing the 2 clips holding the cables to the gear box. It can only be done from underneath with a long steel punch as they jam into place. When you get the cables order 2 new retaining clips because you will loose at least one when taking them out and they will be rusty.. They must also be driven back again ( long steel again)from the top because no other access is possible.Make sure battery and tray are removed (first job) Connect the gearbox cables BEFORE the gear lever end. Don`t forget to fit the cables back into the retainer which is above rear engine mount and a bind to get at.(vital) Allow a full day. Changing cables on a 1.2 petrol engine is a doddle compared to 1.3 multijet.

Re: Stiff gear change panda cross 2010

I have just changed gear cables on a panda cross 4x4 1.3 multijet. I tried lubrication on the cables and this worked fine for 7 days then no gear selection possible.
The biggest problem to changing cables is removing the 2 clips holding the cables to the gear box. It can only be done from underneath with a long steel punch as they jam into place. When you get the cables order 2 new retaining clips because you will loose at least one when taking them out and they will be rusty.. They must also be driven back again ( long steel again)from the top because no other access is possible.Make sure battery and tray are removed (first job) Connect the gearbox cables BEFORE the gear lever end. Don`t forget to fit the cables back into the retainer which is above rear engine mount and a bind to get at.(vital) Allow a full day. Changing cables on a 1.2 petrol engine is a doddle compared to 1.3 multijet.

You've posted in the classic panda section not the modern panda section (y)

Back