Technical steering rack

Currently reading:
Technical steering rack

Fiatcromahull

hi

can anyone tell me if a steering rack is a fiat only part? mine has play in it at the nearside and new one is £550 from fiat. euro car parts said they dont have it.

apparently its a one piece bit of kit so bloody pricey

Please be aware (not all garages are!) that there are inner joints / knuckles on the rack / track rods, these can be changed without a great deal of expense (I've seen them for £20 on ebay, for Vectras). Might be worth finding out exactly where the play is, as these joints are a known weak spot on Vectra Cs.

If it is the rack, see if you can get the manufacturer's part number off it (not the Fiat part number) as it is the same setup as used in the Vectra, then ring round the Vauxhall parts places. Be careful as there are several different versions of the rack used in the Vectra / Signum - if the part number is the same there shouldn't be a problem.

HTH.

Cheers mate.
The play is I think, under the rubber boot. That's where the guy who looked at it believes it is

yes they are the same and fit on either car price per side can be as little as 7 eur per rod.

I'd hate to have a genuine Fiat, given the differences we're seeing between Fiat and Vauxhall parts prices.

Having the Vauxhall dealer option (or even ebay) has saved me many £££s that would have ended up in the pockets of the Fiat dealer.

If only they cut their prices - then they'd get some money from me instead of the £0.00 that I spend there.

i need inner TIE ROD, the bit that looks like this.

Capture.JPG

What vectra part do i need to order for a 1.9 16v croma? thanks

I don't know a part number, but I do know that the garage that did mine just ordered the same part for a Vectra with the same engine and it fitted perfectly.

This was from some generic parts delviery outfit, not Vauxhall.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back