Technical Steering Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Problem

Kirkers

Hello all..

I am having a problem with the steering / handling on my 74 1300..

I had the problem a few weeks ago, when I was going around bends it felt like the wind blows the car to the side and I have to catch the car again with the steering wheel...

I just had the tracking checked and one of the wheels was out of line... the front left

However...

Now the car is a nightmare, its as if something is loose and the car twitches from side to side when I go around corners (sorry, its hard to explain)

The steering is very light until I make a sharpish turn, then the steering really kicks in and turns quite sharply... I hope this makes sense.

I have a problem going back to the tracking company as they don't speak English, and as you can tell I am having problems explaining it in English..

Any help would be gratefully appreciated..

A final note, the problem started after a friend was driving my car, and I have found out he was really throwing into corners!!!

Hi Rob, Get your Spanish Pals to check all the rubber bushes, as far as I know there all still original??

Thanks mate..

I did email you directly about this by the way! You are a one man forum haha

Make sure the tracking system is a true 3D arrangement. A standard (old) system won't pick up the correct positioning of the rear arms and in particular the alignment of the chassis.

Don't forget the dampers too - the problem you've described could be one of any number of individual faults (or all of them).

Any car over 10 years old could suffer this sort of thing but a car that is over 35 years old is almost guaranteed to need some replacement of the soft (rubber) parts.

How did you check the tracking?
If you just check with one of those "drive through" systems that say that the car has moved x meters per km travelled you may be fooled into thinking that you have a steering problem when what you have is a braking problem. Check that the rear brake calipers are not binding before messing up the suspension alignment.

Back