Technical Steering Idler

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Idler

jolly500

Hi all,

Could someone please explain why the inner metal tube in the top and bottom idler bushes has serrated ends. When I tighten the bolt through the idler, the arm is basically trapped and doesn't turn at all. Maybe I'm over tightening the nyloc nut?

Thanks
Steve

Hi all,

Could someone please explain why the inner metal tube in the top and bottom idler bushes has serrated ends. When I tighten the bolt through the idler, the arm is basically trapped and doesn't turn at all. Maybe I'm over tightening the nyloc nut?

Thanks
Steve

That's how it should be. You tighten the nut when the steering is dead centred. Then, as you turn the wheel it creates a torsion in the rubber which helps with the self-centring of the steering.....there is a force helping the wheels to return to straight ahead.

Yes, it seemed alien to me when I assembled my steering to find that it just relies upon the flex in the bushes! The other cars I've owned have had taper roller bearings in the steering idler.

There's plenty of castor in the 500 steering, which should provide good self entering, I wonder if it was just cheaper to use the bushes instead of bearings?

Back